What are signs of possible acute mental health problems that necessitate emergency care?
- Highly disruptive behavior (e.g., irrepressible hostility, aggression, violence, etc.)
- Inappropriate, persistent, and irrepressible elation
- Inability to communicate clearly (garbled or slurred speech; evidence of unconnected, disjointed, or rambling thoughts)
- Loss of contact with reality (apparently seeing or hearing things others cannot; holding beliefs greatly at odds with reality or probability)
- Stalking behaviors
- Harassment via threatening letters, emails, texts, IMs, etc.
- Suicidal thoughts
- Verbal threats to others or threatening behavior