Want to spend time learning first-hand what a typical workday is like for alumni and parents in various career fields?
Offered every January during winter break, job shadowing provides one-day experiences in which students shadow alumni or parent volunteers in the workplace as they go about their day's work. Job Shadowing is open to students of all class years! Students must apply to participate and will be matched based upon their top selections and relevant career interests.
January 2014 Job Shadowing
Shadowing Timeframe: One day January 6-10 or 13-17
Applications Due: November 17 by 11:59p.m.
Students Notified: Before Thanksgiving Break
Mandatory Job Shadowing Preparation Workshop for Participants: Tuesday, December 3 at Noon or 4:30p.m. in CUB 260
*Students who are studying abroad at the time of the session will be sent information via email.
Sampling of Shadowing Sites
- AT&T Operations- Bedminster, NJ
- Ogilvy & Mather - New York, NY
- Liberty Mutual- Weston, MA
- U.S. Senate Legal Counsel - Washington, DC
- Reading Hospital & Medical Center - West Reading, PA
- Coca-Cola Refreshments - Pittston, PA
- U.S. Attorney's Office - Alexandria, VA
- Sen. John Heinz History Center - Pittsburgh, PA
- Clear Channel Outdoor - Philadelphia, PA
- NorDx Laboratories - Scarborough, ME
- Elementary, Secondary & Higher Education - Various locations
Limited funding is available for those students who need assistance with transportation costs in order to participate in the program. Students who will travel greater than 35 miles who need assistance can apply for funding by submitting the Application Estimate Funding Form to Tammy Shaffer by December 3.
Following the experience, students must then submit the Transportation Reimbursement Request Form and appropriate receipts to Tammy Shaffer in the Center for Career Development following their participation.
Questions? Contact Tammy Shaffer, firstname.lastname@example.org, Administrative Services Assistant.
Alumni, Parents and Friends - Volunteer!
Inspire a student's career! Share your workplace and career insights by volunteering to be a job shadowing host. Contact Tiffany Kurzawa, email@example.com, Assistant Director for the Center for Career Development, to learn more about the program.