An internship is a partnership between individual students, Gettysburg College, and companies or organizations where short-term work/learning experiences are offered to students. It is a way for students to connect the learning from their classrooms to the "world of work."
- Can be paid or unpaid
- Can take place during the course of the academic semester or over the summer
- May be eligible for academic credit (minimum of 160 hours = 1 course credit, 80 hours = ½ credit, or 40 hours = ¼ credit)
- May be related to a career interest or part of the student's academic curriculum
- Have defined learning goals and are monitored for progress
- Promote academic, career and/or personal development
Students completing an internship have two options:
1) Internships taken for academic credit are carefully designed to provide a program with a substantial academic component, as well as practical value.
2) Not for Credit ("College Approved internships") do not carry any academic credit, but do allow students to gain practical experience in a chosen career field.
Once you have been offered and have accepted an internship, you need to login to the Student Center and complete the following paperwork by the appropriate deadlines.
- Learning Contract (for academic credit internships)
- College-Approved Learning Contract (for non-credit internships)
- International Student Guide
We recommend that you check your email frequently, as this will be our mode of communication with you throughout the internship process.
Internship Funding Applications
Students can apply to be reimbursed for transportation and housing costs related to a summer internship. Internship Funding Applications are due April 18 by 5pm. Funding is provided through reimbursement only (receipts required) and only after the internship has been registered with our office. For detailed information and application assistance, please make sure to read this short power point BEFORE you apply. If you are awarded funding, the committee will explain acceptable expenses and how to submit them for reimbursement. All finalists will be notified of results before the end of finals week.
If you need funding assistance for your internship complete the online application. Due by April 18th at 5pm.
Internship Paperwork Deadlines
Summer: June 15, 2014
Fall: September 12, 2014 (drop/add date)
Spring: January 30, 2015 (drop/add date)