Through reciprocity, we are able to establish relationships that break down barriers and stereotypes, resulting in the changing of mindsets, attitudes and actions, developing a stronger, more united community.
We partner with South Central Community Action Programs (SCCAP) to share a kitchen facility.
- Adams County Circles Initiative builds reciprocal relationships across socioeconomic lines that inspire and equip our community to end poverty.
- The Campus Kitchen has provided a meal for the weekly meeting since November 2007.
- The Campus Kitchen has been partnering with the Adams County Office for Aging (ACOFA) since the spring of 2008.
- Three times a week, we provide 26 individual meals to senior citizens.
- We also host bi-weekly congregate meals at the Gettysburg Center with student providing entertainment.
- The Migrant Education Program partners with school districts and other agencies to deliver the highest quality education to migrant students, and communities through education.
- The Campus Kitchen delivers a weekly meal to 24 families referred by the Migrant Education Program. For Thanksgiving and Easter, the Campus Kitchen prepares a congregate meal for these families, called a bi-lingual dinner.
Sigma Chi fraternity
Sigma Chi fraternity has adopted the Campus Kitchen at Gettysburg College as their local philanthropy and has provided a great deal of support for the Campus Kitchen. Sigma Chi was the winner of the 2007 campus-wide food drive and has raised money for the Campus Kitchen through innovative fundraising.
- In April 0f 2008, Sigma Chi held the 1st Annual Sigma Chi Chili Throwdown. The event featured teams from various departments and organizations on campus. Each team had the task of preparing a pot full of chili for a panel of judges.
- Each yearly event raises about $1,400 for operating costs.
Several campus-wide food drives have been well supported and have brought in tremendous amounts of canned and dried goods. Several theme houses and Greek organizations participated and were able to contribute greatly to the food supply for the Campus Kitchen.