What is Food Justice?
While there is a movement for people to support the local economy and buy fresh food and produce, our food system is, at the same time, failing to provide low-income people with the healthy foods they need to thrive. Food justice is the belief that healthy food is a human right regardless of income.
The aim of this immersion project is to learn about the food gap by:
- exploring how food is produced by working with local farmers;
- learning where food that is produced in Adams County is eaten;
- examining our emergency food system;
- learning about the local foods movement; and
- promoting a more just food system that supports local economies and allows all people, regardless of socio-economic status, access to healthy foods.
We will learn about and promote food justice by:
- visiting local farms
- taking a trip to the Central PA Food Bank
- meeting with folks from the Food Policy Initiative and Local Foods Network
- volunteering at the Campus Kitchens
- participating in discussion with low-income people about the barriers they face with regard to food
- partnering with local agencies to make fresh food available to clients
- contributing to the Community Food Assessment being done to establish a Food Policy Council in Adams County.
Day 1: Orientation; Begin SNAP Challenge; Grocery shopping for week
Day 2: Farm tours and presentations: Three Springs Farm (Food Alliance Certification), Hollabaugh Brothers Farm (migrant workers), Everblossom Farm (CSAs); Tour of Rice Fruit Company; Farm to Table Dinner at Stone Kitchen
Day 3: Work day at Painted Turtle Farm; Tour of Rettland Farm (meat farm)
Day 4: Tour and work at Sherfy Farm (Battlefield Garden); Visit Farmers Market; Presentation on Healthy Options program; Work shift at Campus Kitchen; Evening discussion with Circles Leaders
Day 5: Visit urban farms in Baltimore; Evening workshop at Painted Turtle Farm
Day 6: Tour of meat processing plant; Work day at Painted Turtle Farm
WINTER BREAK TRIPS
SPRING BREAK TRIPS
Healthcare and Education:
Haiti - $1500