Thank you for your interest in joining the Interfraternity Council(IFC) fraternity community at Gettysburg! Fraternities have been a positive influence on the Gettysburg community since 1855. The information below provides important dates and guidelines for successful participation in the IFC recruitment process. If you have additional questions, please contact the Vice President for Recruitment, JD McPartlan at email@example.com or visiting the Office of Greek Organizations in CUB 220.
Interfraternity Council Important Dates and Spring 2014 Recruitment Information
- IFC Spring Bid Day: Sunday, February 9, 2014
- IFC New Member Education Begins: Wednesday, February 12, 2014
- IFC New Member Education Ends/Initiation Completed: Sunday, March 23, 2014
Registration is required for any man interested in participating in recruitment, or rush, each year. The earlier that a man registers for recruitment, the earlier chapters will receive his information as an interested candidate and will receive additional information from the Interfraternity Council (IFC). There is a fee to participate in recruitment and this year that fee has been set at $20. This fee helps to offset the costs associated with recruitment and will include a recruitment t-shirt that is provided to all registered men. In order to complete the recruitment registration process, an interested man must complete the online registration, pay the registration fee and complete the grade and conduct release waivers. A link to recruitment registration and payment links are provided below:
*If you have registered for recruitment in a prior semester, you do not have to register again. Please contact the IFC VP of Recruitment to notify him of your interest.
It is important to fully consider the decision to join a fraternity. All of Gettysburg's fraternities are part of national or international organizations whose chapters all share the same values, philanthropic partners and form an invaluable membership network. Please be sure to learn more about both the local chapters and inter/national organizations prior to recruitment. The Reports and Statistics link at the top of the page contains comparison information, GPA information, and basic information on all of Gettysburg's Fraternities and Sororities.
REQUIREMENTS FOR JOINING AN IFC FRATERNITY
- Prospective members must have at least sophomore academic standing at the College (excludes transfer and advance placement credits) and have completed at least two semesters as a matriculated student of a college/university.
- All interested men must have a minimum 2.30 cumulative grade point average as of the semester they participate in recruitment. (Some individual organizations have higher minimum grade requirements to join).
- Students may not have 6 or more sanctioning points as a result of College Judicial Action.
- A student must register for recruitment and pay the registration fee of $20.00
- Students must complete the waivers authorizing the release of grade and conduct information.
There are a number of expectations for students who join a Greek organization:
- Members are expected to honor and practice the values espoused by the organization
- Members are expected to perform well academically
- Members are expected to assume a leadership role in the chapter
- There is a financial obligation of members that includes initiation fees, chapter dues and national fees, housing fees, and non-resident fees for those who do not live in the house, as well as the timely payment of bills.
- Members are expected to commit to chapter philanthropy, service and educational event
- Men should be prepared to live in the chapter house every semester after they join.
- Non-resident fees are paid every semester that a member does not live in the house.
- Fraternity members will not be approved to live off-campus until their chapter house is filled to capacity.
- Sophomore men joining in the fall semester will be expected to move into the house in the spring if it is not full.