1. The NCAA bans the following classes of drugs.
b. Anabolic Agents;
c. Alcohol and Beta Blockers (banned for rifle only);
d. Diuretics and Other Masking Agents;
e. Street Drugs;
f. Peptide Hormones and Analogues;
g. Anti-estrogens; and
h. Beta-2 Agonists.
Note: Any substance chemically related to these classes is also banned.
The institution and the student-athlete shall be held accountable for all drugs within the banned drug class regardless of whether they have been specifically identified.
2. Drugs and Procedures Subject to Restrictions.
a. Blood Doping;
b. Local Anesthetics (under some conditions);
c. Manipulation of Urine Samples;
d. Beta-2 Agonists permitted only by prescription and inhalation;
e. Caffeine if concentrations in urine exceed 15 micrograms/ml.
3. NCAA Nutritional/Dietary Supplements Warning.
• Before consuming any nutritional/dietary supplement product, review the product with your athletics department staff!
(1) Dietary supplements are not well regulated and may cause a positive drug test result
(2) Student-athletes have tested positive and lost their eligibility using dietary supplements
(3) Many dietary supplements are contaminated with banned drugs not listed on the label
(4) Any product containing a dietary supplement ingredient is taken at your own risk.
Some Examples of NCAA Banned Substances in Each Drug Class
NOTE: There is no complete list of banned drug examples!!
Check with your athletics department staff before you consume any medication or supplement.
e.g., amphetamine (Adderall); caffeine (guarana); cocaine; ephedrine; fenfluramine (Fen); methamphetamine; methylphenidate (Ritalin); phentermine (Phen); synephrine (bitter orange); etc.
Exceptions: phenylephrine and pseudoephedrine are not banned.
2. Anabolic Agents (sometimes listed as a chemical formula, such as 3,6,17-androstenetrione).
e.g., boldenone; clenbuterol; DHEA; nandrolone; stanozolol; testosterone; methasterone; androstenedione; norandrostenedione; methandienone; etiocholanolone; trenbolone; etc.
3. Alcohol and Beta Blockers (banned for rifle only).
e.g., alcohol; atenolol; metoprolol; nadolol; pindolol; propranolol; timolol; etc.
4. Diuretics and Other Masking Agents (water pills).
e.g., bumetanide; chlorothiazide; furosemide; hydrochlorothiazide; probenecid; spironolactone (canrenone); triameterene; trichlormethiazide; etc.
5. Street Drugs.
e.g., heroin; marijuana; tetrahydrocannabinol (THC); (no other substances are classified as NCAA street drugs).
6. Peptide Hormones and Analogues.
e.g., growth hormone(hGH); human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG); erythropoietin (EPO); etc.
e.g., anastrozole; tamoxifen; formestane; 3,17-dioxo-etiochol-1,4,6-triene(ATD); etc.
8. Beta-2 Agonists:
e.g., bambuterol; formoterol; salbutamol; salmeterol; etc.
Any substance that is chemically related to the class of banned drugs is also banned (unless otherwise noted)!
NOTE: Information about ingredients in medications and nutritional/dietary supplements can be obtained by contacting the Resource Exchange Center, REC, 877/202-0769 or www.drugfreesport.com/rec password ncaa1, ncaa2 or ncaa3.
It is your responsibility to check with the appropriate athletics staff before using any substance.