International Student Advisor Packet
After you have been officially accepted and have paid your deposit, you will receive, via FedEx or USPS International Express Mail, an envelope that contains the following:
Letter from the International Student Advisor
This comprehensive letter explains in detail:
- the contents of the envelope,
- the steps that need to be taken to apply for a visa,
- guidelines for travel to the United States as an F-1 student,
- detailed information about potential arrival dates,
- introductory information about the transition to college, and
- important dates to consider (international student orientation, general student orientation, etc.).
Your I-20 is the document that demonstrates that Gettysburg College is sponsoring you for your F-1 student visa. You will need this document for your visa interview and you must always carry this document with you when you travel in and out of the United States. More about the I-20 process.
Information regarding students' status is maintained by the International Student Advisor through a system called SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System). SEVIS is an online database that generates each student's I-20 and all new students are charged $200 by the Department of Homeland Security to defray the costs of managing SEVIS. The receipt is needed for the visa interview. Gettysburg College pays this fee for all new students and will send your receipt with your I-20.
Travel and Transportation Information
Gettysburg College can arrange and pay for your transportation from area airports and train stations for your first trip to the college. Future transportation needs to and from the college to area airports and train stations are the student's responsibility. The envelope contains forms you will complete and share back to the college regarding arrival information and the details of pick-up locations. More information about transportation for international students.
International Student Orientation
To all the incoming International Students. Welcome to Gettysburg College! We look forward to welcoming you to our campus community upon your arrival in August! Please note that this orientation schedule has tentative times on when the events will take place during the orientation week. Since the website will continue to be updated for the next two months, we encourage you to keep checking the website on regular basis for any changes or updates for the rest of the summer months.
2013 International Students Orientation Dates:
- Wednesday, August 14, 2013 : Arrival and Check-In – 3:00 – 5:00 p.m.
- Thursday, August 15 – 20, 2013 : Orientation begins – 8:30 a.m.
- Wednesday August 21, 2013: 8:30 -12:00 p.m. End of International Students Orientation –
- Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 1:30 p.m. – First year international students joining all other first year and transfer students Gettysburg College campus wide orientation
New Student Orientation for all incoming First-Year Students begins on August 21.