Important Notes about CPT and Eligibility Requirements:

  • You must have been lawfully enrolled on a full-time basis for one academic year before being eligible for CPT.
  • You may engage in CPT only for the specific employer, location, and period approved and recorded by the International Student Advisor in SEVIS.
  • The work can be approved for part-time (20 hours or less) or full-time (over 20 hours).
  • Your employment must be an integral part of an established curriculum in your course of study.
  • You must have an offer of employment from an employer offering work that qualifies for CPT.
  • The internship/work experience must be coordinated through the Center for Career Development and approved by a faculty member.
  • The internship/work experience must be completed for academic credit in your major or it must be required for your degree.
  • Use of full-time CPT for one year or more eliminates eligibility for Optional Practical Training (OPT). Use of part-time CPT does not affect eligibility for OPT.

How to Apply:

Follow the procedures listed below and submit the following documents to the International Student Advisor. The materials need to be submitted at least two weeks before you plan on beginning your job.

  • You should attend a "Getting Started" session sponsored by the Center for Career Development (CCD), where you will learn about the steps needed to secure an internship.  Following this session you should set up an individual appointment with a counselor at the CCD.  This person will walk you through the steps to acquire an internship and receive academic credit for that experience.
  • Submit a copy of your completed Learning Contract to the Center for Career Development. Learning Contracts can be picked up at the Center for Career Development (be sure to ask for the international student version).  The Center for Career Development will forward a copy to the International Student Advisor.
  • The International Student Advisor will generate a new I-20 that reflects the fact that you will be participating in CPT.  You will be asked to see the International Student Advisor to retrieve and sign your new I-20.