New Page 2
We, the members of the International Club, do hereby establish this
Constitution, which shall take effect on the 1st day of September in the year
2004 and supercede all previous documents. The constitution has been amended on
the following dates: March 8, 2009.
Section 1 – Definition
The International Club aims to promote awareness in international cultures.
The International Club hopes to foster a friendly exchange of cultural ideas,
practices and traditions amongst between students, staff, faculty,
administrators and members of the local community of the various cultures they
represent. The International Club strives to create an environment whereby all
members of the Gettysburg College community embrace and celebrate all the
cultures of the world.
- The Executive Committee shall consist of the President, Vice-President,
Treasurer, Secretary, Social Programming Coordinator and Historian of the
- The Executive Committee shall meet on a weekly basis to coordinate the
agenda, events and programs.
- The Executive Committee shall be charged with continual constitutional
review and propose amendments as deemed necessary.
- One member of the Executive Committee shall attend required Student
- To provide leadership for the International Club.
- To call and preside over all club meetings and executive meetings.
- To act as the primary spokesperson for the International Club in dealing
with the faculty, the administration and other student organizations.
- To assume the duties of the President in the event of absence and to
succeed the office in the event of vacancy.
- To coordinate International Club Executive Committee elections.
- In the event that the Vice-president is running for a position on the
Executive Committee, the Executive Committee shall appoint from within its
committee another individual to fulfill those responsibilities.
- To arrange transportation for all International Club events as needed.
- To manage accurate financial records for the International Club's
- To execute financial transactions upon the consent of the Executive
- To act as a liaison between the Executive Committee and the Student
Senate Treasurer regarding financial issues.
- To prepare a budget with the assistance of the Executive Board to be
presented to the Student Senate Budget Management Committee.
- To keep accurate minutes of all International Club and Executive
Committee meetings and send them to the club promptly.
- To act as the coordinator of public relations.
- To maintain accurate attendance records.
- To plan International Club activities and events with approval of the
- To coordinate International Club activities and events that have been
approved by the Executive Committee.
Section 2 Division of Responsibility
- To maintain accurate historical records of the International Club.
- To present historical records for the year to the International Club.
- To research the necessary cultural and historical backgrounds for
different events and celebrations.
Article 2 Organizational Structure
- To provide advice and guidance to the International Club.
- To attend a monthly meeting with the International Club Executive
- Membership to the International Club is open to all full-time
matriculating Gettysburg College students as well as faculty,
administrators, staff members and Gettysburg community members.
- Active members are defined as those that have attended a majority of the
- Exceptions can be made by the Executive Committee based on participation
in club events, activities, programs and interest.
- An exception shall require a simple majority for approval by the
- Inactive members are those that do not meet the above-mentioned
- The Executive Committee of the International Club shall determine the
time and location of the meetings at the beginning of every semester.
- The meetings shall be held at least on biweekly basis.
- Amendments to this constitution may be recommended by any active member
of the International Club.
- Amendments, which shall be submitted in written form, may be proposed at
any regular meeting of the International Club.
- No vote shall take place until two weeks have passed since the
submission of the Amendment.
- Approval of the amendment shall require a 2/3 vote of active members of
the International Club.
- Any active member of the International Club has the authority to
initiate impeachment proceedings.
- An Impeachment Trial will be set for one week following the initiation
of impeachment proceedings.
- The President of the organization shall preside over the Impeachment
Trial. In the event that the President is being impeached then the
Vice-president shall preside over the Impeachment Trial.
- Impeachment and removal from office shall require a 4/5 vote by active
members of the International Club.
- Judgment in cases of impeachment shall not extend beyond removal from
- Any International Club Officer or member that is impeached and removed
from office shall not be able to hold office in the future.
Article 3 Procedures
- The President of the International Club shall be able to postpone or
delay a meeting of the International Club. The President shall also be able
to call emergency meetings.
- All current active members are eligible for nomination for candidacy for
positions in the Executive Committee.
- Students who are knowingly studying off campus for either one semester
of the full term of office shall be eligible for nomination for all
positions except for the position of the club president.
- A candidate staying on campus only one semester must agree with another
student to serve at the position during the semester of his/her absence.
During the voting procedure, the two candidates shall be listed jointly (as
if they were one full year candidate), making it clear that each of them
will serve one semester.
- Full year candidacy is strongly encouraged to promote continuity of the
- Nominations will be accepted no later than the meeting one week prior to
- Elections are held annually on a date, at the end of March, to be
determined by the Executive Committee during a regular meeting of the
- Active members of the International Club can also vote at the advisor's
office during hours to be names by the Executive Committee and the advisor.
- Those nominated will prepare a short statement and present to the entire
International Club through email with president’s assistance or on the date
of the election.
- Only active and inactive members shall have the ability to vote and each
shall be allowed only one vote.
- All elections shall be conducted on paper ballots.
- The Vice-President shall, in collaboration with their advisor, count all
ballots within forty-eight hours of the election.
X Close Article 4 Election
- In the event of a vacancy within the Executive Committee with less than
two months remaining before the month of April, the President of the
International Club has the ability to appoint an individual to the position
with consent of the Executive Committee.
- In the event of a vacancy with more than two months remaining before the
month of April, then a special election will be held to fill that position.
The same election procedures shall be used during this special election.