The information below is for the housing selection processes that occurred during the spring 2018 semester for the 2018-2019 academic year. Details for the housing selection processes for the 2019-2020 academic year will be coming soon.
Gettysburg College offers a wide variety of housing options. The housing selection process is designed to help students select housing for the following year. Housing Selection consists of three Phases. There are many details to consider, therefore we ask that you read this information carefully and familiarize yourself with the processes, policies, and housing options available to you.
Please "like" us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram to be the most up-to-date with reminders about upcoming housing processes and important events.
This phase includes the following processes which take place before spring break.
Disability Accommodations for Housing
Residential & First-Year Programs Staff Selection
Ninth semester student teachers
This phase involves all the processes related to Online Housing Selection.
SECTION 1: Things to Think About When Considering Your Housing Options
- Room/apartment capacities and vacancies that occur during the summer
- Housing floor plans
- Availability of single rooms
- Gender-Neutral Housing
- Special notes on Quarry Suites, Apple Hall, Ice House, and College Apartments
- Living at Baughman Hall (located at the seminary)
- Room rates and meal plan requirements
- Parking permit requirements
SECTION 2: The Details You Should Know About Housing Selection
- Lottery number assignments and class year designations
- First-year students regarding CYC participation
- Sophomore students regarding Sophomore Success Program Participation
- Class pre-registration requirement
- Readmitted students and students returning from a leave of absence
- Online Housing Selection
- Proxy process (what to do if you're unavailable to choose housing for yourself or your group at your designated time)
- Waitlist forms (what to do if you don't get your first choice -- see Phase III)
- Room Switch Agreements (two students switching rooms between fall and spring semesters)
The following processes begin once the online housing selection process has ended in April and continues through July.
Waitlist forms are used for students who did not receive their first choice in housing accommodations or who do not select housing through any of the housing selection processes. All full-time students are guaranteed housing for all four years at Gettysburg but some students will leave campus in May not knowing where they will be living in the fall. This situation occurs each year because in the spring we assign housing to upperclass students who in the summer decide to take leaves of absence, withdraw, or transfer. Students who do not select housing will be required to complete a Housing Waitlist Form.
As spaces become available housing is assigned using the information collected on the waitlist forms that students completed before leaving campus for the summer. All students who leave campus without a housing assignment will be notified of their housing by the end of July.
- Waitlist forms are placed in class year/lottery order.
- Students are permitted to be on more than one waitlist.
- Waitlist forms will be available at any time to a student/group who has already selected housing for the 2018 fall semester.
- On Monday, March 26th, waitlist forms will be available to any current junior or sophomore student who has not yet selected housing.
- Junior and sophomore waitlist forms must be submitted to the Office of Residential & First-Year Programs by Monday, April 2nd.
- On Monday, April 9th, waitlist forms will be available to any current first-year student who has not yet selected housing.
- First-year waitlist forms must be submitted to the Office of Residential & First-Year Programs by Friday, April 13th.
- Groups are encouraged to designate a contact person who will serve as the representative for your group. The Office of Residential & First-Year Programs will contact your group's representative when an offer for a change in your housing becomes available. The group's representative is able to accept housing on the entire group's behalf. Additionally, all students who are part of your group on the waitlist form MUST individually accept the waitlist offer via email.
Due to its residency requirement, Gettysburg College guarantees housing for all full-time students. Therefore, the Office of Residential & First-Year Programs must efficiently and effectively utilize all available spaces in its housing inventory and reserves the right to utilize the consolidation policy.
The consolidation policy states that the Office of Residential & First-Year Programs reserves the right to move students from their current room assignment. All students within a room may be moved to another location, multiple groups of students in separate rooms but on the same floor/building may be relocated, and students residing alone in multiple occupancy rooms may be consolidated. This means that a student, upon notification, may be reassigned to another space on campus. This is an effort to optimize the utilization of vacancies/rooms on campus.
Over the summer months the Office of Residential & First-Year Programs will review occupancies across campus. During this time period the Office of Residential & First-Year Programs will determine if consolidation is needed at which point you may be notified. The Office of Residential & First-Year Programs will work with all students involved in a consolidation to make the transition as smooth as possible.
Students returning from a leave of absence or readmitted students who have not participated in PHASE I or PHASE II of the Housing Selection Process will participate in the housing placement process using a Housing Preference form, which will be emailed to them once the office receives official notification of the student's return. After April 8th, our office will use Housing Preference Forms to assign readmit students and students returning from a leave of absence. All student placements will be completed by the end of July. X Close
Housing Selection Timeline Overview for 2018-2019 Academic Year