All students who are applying for summer housing are encouraged to attend one of the Summer Employment/Housing Information Sessions. Staff from various departments on campus will conduct this information session and be available to answer any questions.
Tuesday, April 9th at 4:00 p.m. in CUB 260
Summer Housing Eligibility and Verification
The Office of Residence Life will only provide housing for one or more of the following reasons listed below. Anyone seeking housing for any other reason than listed below will not be accommodated in campus housing this summer.
- Gettysburg College student employees
- Students completing a College approved internship
- Gettysburg College research assistants
- Students taking summer classes
- International students
Verification Process - Verification must be provided at the time of application. If, due to extenuating circumstances, this is not possible, verification must be provided by Friday, May 3rd so that students avoid the risk of being removed from summer housing.
- Students who are college employees, interns or research assistants must have their supervisor complete the verification section of the summer housing application.
- If students are seeking an internship off-campus, the internship must be college approved and the appropriate paperwork must be completed through the Center for Career Development. Please note that graduating seniors are not eligible for college-approved internships. See the CCD website for more information on internships.
- Students taking summer classes will be verified through the Registrar's Office.
Summer Housing Locations
- Summer Housing for 2013 will be located in Musselman Hall, Appleford Inn, Appleford Carriage House, and 33 W. Middle Street.
- Tudor House will also be used to house the HHMI summer research students and 25 S. Washington will be used to house the Mellon Grant students. The Heston students will be living in 33 W. Middle (first floor and one apartment on the second floor).
- These housing options for the summer are subject to change and Residence Life reserves the right to determine the number of doubles and singles to accommodate all summer housing requests.
- With the exception of Musselman Hall, rooms in all facilities must be filled to capacity. Musselman Hall will be composed of primarily single rooms, dependant on the total number of summer housing applicants.
- All college furniture must remain in summer residence hall rooms regardless of summer capacity.
Summer Housing Rate and Billing Process
- The 2013 Summer Housing rate is $420 per student.
- Residence Life will bill all summer housing applicants for summer housing. Graduating seniors will be billed on Tuesday, April 23rd. The remaining applicants will be billed on Monday, April 29th.
- Housing rates apply regardless of the amount of time needed for summer housing and will not be pro-rated based on check-in or check-out dates.
Summer housing fee for students who are REQUIRED to live on-campus:
- Students who are required (i.e. Senior Research Assistants and the RC/RAs) to live in college housing will be issued a credit for their summer housing fee once their supervisor completes the Summer Student Data Form and submits the form to Student Employment Services (Box 425). It is the responsibility of the student's supervisor to notify Student Employment Services of any Senior Research Assistants who are REQIRED to live on campus and should be issued a credit for their summer housing fee.
- Please note that not all research assistants who apply for summer housing are required to live on-campus. The Provost Office staff will make the final determination as to which research assistants are required to live on-campus.
Can my department pay for my summer housing?
- Departments are not permitted to “pay” for summer housing for those students who are NOT required to live on campus.
- Departments may offer students a signing bonus ($420 maximum) to help supplement their expenses (e.g. housing, food, etc.).
- The signing bonus is subject to tax and paid in a lump sum directly to the student on or after June 14, 2013. Supervisors must return the completed Summer Student Data Form to Student Employment Services at the Center for Career Development for the students they hire for the summer.
- This form also provides the information needed from departments offering a signing bonus to the student employee.
Application and Room Selection Procedures
- Summer housing applications can be printed from our website and are also available in the Office of Residence Life.
- Applications must be returned to the Office of Residence Life by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, April 19, 2013.
- Applicants will randomly select a summer housing lottery number when they return their completed summer housing application by the April 19th deadline. Housing will then be selected in class year/lottery number order. Applications submitted after the deadline will be placed at the end in date received order.
- Summer housing room sign-ups will be held Thursday, April 25th beginning at 4:00 p.m. in CUB 260.
- Those who cannot attend room sign-ups at that time will need to designate a proxy to choose a room on their behalf. They do so by completing a summer housing proxy form, which their proxy must bring with him/her when selecting summer housing on April 25th.
Check-in Dates, Check-out Dates, and Temporary Storage
For those living in Musselman, Appleford Carriage House, 25 S. Washington, and 33 W. Middle (except the first floor apartment) for the summer:
- Check-in begins Monday, May 13th at 4:00 p.m. and key pick-up will occur 4:00 - 6:00 p.m. in CUB 250.
- Check-in after this date will resume in the Office of Residence Life between the hours of 8:30 a.m. to noon and 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Most students who are staying for summer housing may stay in their current housing assignment until Monday, May 14th at 4:00 p.m. However, students MUST be packed and ready to move at this time.
- All spring-to-summer moves must be completed by 10:00 a.m. on Tuesday, May 14th.
- All spring housing keys must be returned by Tuesday, May 14th at noon.
For those living in Tudor and Appleford Inn for the summer:
- This check-in date is to be determined, but it's expected to occur sometime between late Monday afternoon (May 20) and Wednesday (May 22). Once the check-in day is determined, students will be notified of the details. Some students transitioning to Tudor and Appleford may need to relocate to interim housing between May 12th and summer housing check-in. Some students may be able to stay in their current housing until summer housing check-in. Those details will be finalized by early May.
Limited Temporary Storage
- Limited temporary storage will be available in Patrick Hall for those students who leave campus prior to Sunday, May 12th and/or check into summer housing after May 13th.
- Storage requests must be made by emailing Dwayne Taylor.
- All items MUST be removed from temporary storage by noon on Monday, June 3rd.
- Once the Office of Residence Life determines the number of requests for storage, dates and times for placing items in storage will be posted.
Summer housing will end at 10:00 p.m. on Sunday, August 4th
Summer housing end dates are determined by fall housing placement, summer conference schedule and Facilities/Housekeeping needs to have rooms appropriately prepared for fall occupancy.
- Summer residents will pick up their fall housing room keys from 4:00 - 6:00 p.m. on Friday, August 2nd in CUB 250.
- Summer residents must be moved out of their summer housing by 10:00 p.m. on Sunday, August 4th. Summer housing keys must be returned by noon on Monday, August 5th.
- PLEASE NOTE: Students not returning for the Fall 2013 semester (e.g. May 2013 graduates, those studying off-campus, those living off-campus, etc.) must vacate their Gettysburg College residence hall room and return their summer housing room keys by 10:00 p.m. on Sunday, August 4th.
- All summer housing residents MUST plan their work schedules and any travel arrangements around these checkout dates.
Please note: It is important that summer residents share information regarding summer housing check-in AND check-out dates and times with their supervisors and/or departments. It is crucial that students transition between spring-to-summer and summer-to-fall housing within the times determined by the Office of Residence Life. Our buildings are scheduled for summer conferences, summer renovations, and preparation for students' arrival in August. Summer residents will need to plan to move during these times or use temporary storage.