All students who are applying for summer housing are encouraged to attend one of the Summer Employment/Housing Information Sessions. Staff from various departments on campus will conduct this information session and be available to answer any questions.
Tuesday, April 8th at 4:00 p.m. in Science Center 200
Summer Housing Eligibility and Verification
The Office of Residence Life will only provide housing for one or more of the following reasons listed below. Anyone seeking housing for any other reason than listed below will not be accommodated in campus housing this summer.
- Gettysburg College student employees
- Students completing a College approved internship
- Gettysburg College research assistants
- Students taking summer classes
- International students
Verification Process - Verification must be provided at the time of application. Students will NOT be able to select a room for the summer NOR be issued a key for summer housing until their summer housing eligibility can be verified.
- Students who are college employees, interns or research assistants must have their supervisor complete the verification section of the summer housing application.
- If students are seeking an internship off-campus, the internship must be college approved and the appropriate paperwork must be completed through the Center for Career Development. Please note that graduating seniors are not eligible for college-approved internships. See the CCD website for more information on internships.
- Students taking summer classes will be verified through the Registrar's Office.
Summer Housing Locations (all locations are tentative)
- Summer Housing for 2014 will be located in Patrick Hall and Albaugh House.
- Constitution Apartments will be used to house the Heston and Mellon Grant students. Summer housing for the HHMI students is still being determined.
- The rooms in Patrick Hall will primarily be at single occupancy, dependent on the total number of summer housing applicants. Students may also request to live together in a double room in Patrick Hall.
- Rooms in Albaugh House must be filled to capacity.
- All college furniture must remain in summer residence hall rooms regardless of summer capacity.
- These housing options for the summer are subject to change and Residence Life reserves the right to determine the number of doubles and singles to accommodate all summer housing requests.
Summer Housing Rate and Billing Process
- The 2014 Summer Housing rate is $440 per student.
- Residence Life will bill all summer housing applicants for summer housing. Graduating seniors will be billed on Tuesday, April 22nd. The remaining applicants will be billed on Monday, April 28th.
- Housing rates apply regardless of the amount of time needed for summer housing and will not be pro-rated based on check-in or check-out dates.
Summer housing fee for students who are REQUIRED to live on-campus:
- Students who are required (i.e. Senior Research Assistants and the RC/RAs) to live in college housing will be issued a credit for their summer housing fee once their supervisor completes the Summer Student Data Form and submits the form to Student Employment Services (Box 425). It is the responsibility of the student's supervisor to notify Student Employment Services of any Senior Research Assistants who are REQUIRED to live on campus and should be issued a credit for their summer housing fee.
- Please note that not all research assistants who apply for summer housing are required to live on-campus. The Provost Office staff will make the final determination as to which research assistants are required to live on-campus.
Can my department pay for my summer housing?
- Departments are not permitted to “pay” for summer housing for those students who are NOT required to live on campus.
- Departments may offer students a signing bonus ($440 maximum) to help supplement their expenses (e.g. housing, food, etc.).
- The signing bonus is subject to tax and paid in a lump sum directly to the student on or after June 13, 2014. Supervisors must return the completed Summer Student Data Form to Student Employment Services at the Center for Career Development for the students they hire for the summer.
- This form also provides the information needed from departments offering a signing bonus to the student employee.
Application and Room Selection Procedures
- Summer housing applications can be downloaded from our website and are also available in the Office of Residence Life.
- Applications must be returned to the Office of Residence Life by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, April 18, 2014.
- Applicants will randomly select a summer housing lottery number when they return their summer housing application by the April 18th deadline.
- Housing for those whose eligibility is verified will then be selected in class year/lottery number order. Applications submitted after the deadline will be placed at the end in date received order.
- Summer housing room sign-ups will be held Thursday, April 24th beginning at 4:00 p.m. in CUB 230.
- Those who cannot attend room sign-ups at that time will need to designate a proxy to choose a room on their behalf. They do so by completing a summer housing proxy form, which their proxy must bring with him/her when selecting summer housing on April 24th.
Check-in Dates, Check-out Dates, and Temporary Storage
- Generally, check-in will occur sometime between 4:00 p.m. on Monday, May 12th and 4:00pm on Monday, May 19th. We ask that students work with us to be patient and flexible as we work through the details of spring to summer housing transition. Please know that each student will be given specific details regarding his/her transition to summer housing.
- Specific transition times cannot be determined until after room sign-ups occur on Thursday, April 24th at which point we will know specifics about where people are moving from and where they are moving to and can then work through the transition details. Transition details will be available by Friday, May 2nd.
- Due to outside contractor schedules that begin very early the morning of Monday, May 12th, current Paul, Rice, Stine, and Albaugh residents will NOT be able to remain in their current housing past 10 p.m. on Sunday, May 11th. Therefore, these students will need to relocate to temporary housing until they can move into their summer housing.
Limited Temporary Storage
- Limited temporary storage will be available in Patrick Hall for those students who leave campus prior to Sunday, May 11th and/or check into summer housing after May 12th.
- Storage requests must be made by emailing Allison Schofield.
- All items MUST be removed from temporary storage by noon on Monday, June 2nd.
- Once the Office of Residential & First-Year Programs determines the number of requests for storage, dates and times for placing items in storage will be posted.
Summer housing will end at 10:00 p.m. on Sunday, August 10th
Summer housing end dates are determined by fall housing placement, summer conference schedule and Facilities/Housekeeping needs to have rooms appropriately prepared for fall occupancy.
- Summer residents will pick up their fall housing room keys from 4:00 - 6:00 p.m. on Friday, August 8th in CUB 250.
- Summer residents must be moved out of their summer housing by 10:00 p.m. on Sunday, August 10th. Summer housing keys must be returned by 10:00 a.m. on Monday, August 11th.
- PLEASE NOTE: Students not returning for the Fall 2014 semester (e.g. May 2014 graduates, those studying off-campus, those living off-campus, etc.) must vacate their Gettysburg College residence hall room and return their summer housing room keys by 10:00 p.m. on Sunday, August 10th.
- All summer housing residents MUST plan their work schedules and any travel arrangements around these checkout dates.
Please note: It is important that summer residents share information regarding summer housing check-in AND check-out dates and times with their supervisors and/or departments. It is crucial that students transition between spring-to-summer and summer-to-fall housing within the times determined by the Office of Residential & First-Year Programs. Our buildings are scheduled for summer conferences, summer renovations, and preparation for students' arrival in August. Summer residents will need to plan to move during these times or use temporary storage.