Scan your Computer for Viruses
IT recommends that you scan your computer for viruses on a regular basis, if you have opened a questionable file, or if you have concerns about virus infection on your computer.
Follow the steps outlined below to scan your computer for virus using the Norton AntiVirus program:
- Update your virus scanner
- Double Click the gold shield icon located on the bottom right hand corner of your screen in the Windows taskbar.
- Norton AntiVirus will open. Select Scan Computer under the Scan folder
- Under Scan Computer, select Local Disk(C:).
You may also select any removable drives, floppy drives, memory cards, etc.
- Press the Scan button located in the bottom right hand corner of the Norton Anti-Virus window.
- Your computer will scan your hard drive and selected disks.
- If a virus is found, you will be prompted to clean, remove, or quarantine the infected file. Choose Clean and remove if possible.
- Depending on the number of files on your computer and processing speed, the scanning process may take a long time. You may wish to scan for viruses when you will be away from your computer for a significant period of time.
- You may work on your computer while you are scanning for viruses. However, please be aware that a significant amount of processing power will be used in the virus scanning process and your computer may take more time to process information.
- When complete, you may close the virus scanner.