On a regular basis, Microsoft will provide updates to the Windows operating system and Office products. It is critical that these updates take place as they can prevent virus infections, insure computer security, and may prevent software conflicts with other programs.
|Operating System Updates
We do not push OS updates to anyone at this time. New deployments are being configured with automatic OS updates configured.
Before updating your Windows operating system, please be aware of the following:
- You may be required to restart your computer
- Depending on your computer, speed of your Internet connection, and the last time you updated Windows, updating your Windows operating system may require a significant amount of time (you may not need to be with your computer at all times. However, you should check back frequently to continue processes if the update requires user feedback).
- Updates may cause software conflicts (please backup important data before updating your computer)
- You may be required to go through the process of updating your computer.
To update your Windows Operating system, follow the steps outlined below:
- Back up important data on your computer
- Open Internet Explorer (You must use Internet Explorer to update your computer -- other web browsers will not work)
- Select Tools from the menubar
- From the Tools pulldown menu, select Windows Update
- You will taken to Microsoft's Update website.
- Select Scan for updates
- Your computer will be scanned for necessary updates specific to your individual computer (may take a few minutes).
- When your computer has been scanned,
select Review and install updates
- You will be given a list of necessary updates, press the Remove button next to each update that you do not want to install
- After you have reviewed the necessary updates, select Install Now
- All selected updates will be downloaded and installed automatically. When completed, you may be asked to restart your computer.
- After you have restarted your computer, repeat the process of updating Windows (Updates are available in sequential order. It may be necessary to acquire previous updates before more recent updates are available. The Windows Update process will automatically determine which updates you need first and will only install updates in sequential order).