The following is a summary of our process for accommodating students with learning disabilities.

Self-disclosure or referral:

  • In the late spring, all students expected in our FY class are invited to self-disclose all disabilities and to send documentation so that IEAPs (Individual Education Accommodation Plans) can be prepared by the time new students arrive on campus.
  • Students are also referred to Academic Advising by faculty if a learning disability is suspected or students themselves may seek help because of difficulties in class. In these cases, in an initial conversation, a dean explains the College's policy and testing requirements and gives the student a printed copy of this information. Students are advised about getting extra help in current classes and other options as circumstances indicate.

2. Documentation required for accommodation includes the following: 

The Office of Academic Advising maintains all disability records and treats then with utmost care for the privacy of our students. 

3. All documentation received is reviewed by our consultant, who prepares a draft Individual Educational Accommodation Plan (IEAP) for each student. After the IEAP has been prepared, the Office of Academic Advising makes an appointment with the student to discuss the documentation and our consultant's recommendations, assist in developing strategies for academic success and talking with faculty, and discuss plans for satisfactory progress toward the degree if summer school or reduced load are indicated, and other related concerns. The Office of Academic Advising provides the student with several copies of the IEAP to share with instructors.

Students are encouraged to discuss their accommodations and strategies with their faculty advisors and their instructors, and to consult with and stay in touch with one of the deans in the Office of Academic Advising. Students should contact the Office of Academic Advising with any new requests for accommodation.

4. The IEAP includes the student's accommodations and a statement of student responsibilities to be reviewed and signed by the student. This signed IEAP is normally shared with the student's advisor in order to assist the student in making educational choices. It is up to the student to determine whether she/he wishes to seek accommodation in a particular course. The student is responsible for initiating that conversation and providing the instructor with a copy of the signed IEAP.

Students seeking accommodation who do not have or provide a copy of their signed IEAP should be referred to the Office of Academic Advising.

5. Implementing Accommodations: Students are responsible for requesting accommodation from their individual instructors. Using the IEAP as a guide, the student and course instructor, with the assistance of the Office of Academic Advising as requested by the student or instructor, establish how accommodations, if any, will be implemented for that course. See Academic Accommodations: Policy and Grievance Procedure for more information.

6. We strongly encourage faculty advisors and instructors to consult with the deans in the Office of Academic Advising about any students they believe are in need of assistance. Through our electronic Progress Reports and Midterm Deficiency Reports online system, faculty advisors and the deans in the office of Academic Advising are able to monitor the academic progress of all students, including students with disabilities. In addition, we have the services (part-time) of two experienced learning specialists. Students can see a specialist through referral by one of the deans in Academic Advising.

                                                                                                              Revised August 2011