Welcome back from your global studies! We are eager to see you and hear about your extraordinary experiences.
Your return can be quite the adjustment and may present a unique set of opportunities and challenges. You are not alone! You and over a hundred of your peers were off campus last semester so be proactive about your re-entry. Here are some tips and resources:
Helping you adjust to life back at Gettysburg:
- Try to make sense of your time off campus. Find some insight into your experiences and apply your newly found cross-cultural skills and perspectives.
- Top 10 Re-Entry Challenges: Feeling blue and out of sorts when coming back home? It's normal! Re-acclimating yourself can be a tough challenge. Read the top 10 re-entry problems faced by students today and reassure yourself that you're not the only one feeling this way.
- What's up with Culture : Material developed to support and enhance a student's ability to make successful cultural adjustments both before going overseas and upon returning home from global study.
- Things you can do with CGE:
- Welcome Back Social:
CGE hosts a Welcome Back Social for returning global study students on the first Tuesday of the semester. Here you can meet up with other friends who are returning to campus, meet past global study students, eat food, play Globingo, and other activities. You will be emailed with details of this event prior to the start of the semester
- Photo Contest:
Do you have a picture from your global study experience this past semester that can win our photo contest? CGE invites you to submit your favorite photo(s) to us. Photos will be judged by a team of "experts" made up of Gettysburg Faculty, Students and Administrators. The winners will be announced and prizes will be awarded. You will be emailed with details of this prior to returning to campus.
- Global Leaders of Gettysburg College:
Global Leaders of Gettysburg College empowers students who have studied globally to infuse their international experiences into their campus life & future endeavors through mentorship, activism and scholarship. Global Leaders move beyond observation to active reflection and leadership. You will hear more about this opportunity at the Welcome Back Social.
- Welcome Back Social:
- On-campus organizations that will help you channel your experiences:
Do you want to study, intern, or work abroad in the future?
- Study Globally Again
So you've gone once and want to go back? It's possible! Students may study globally up to the Fall semester of their Senior year or even as a post-graduates. Please contact your CGE advisor for further information.
- Career Development
Interested in interning or working abroad? Contact the Center for Career Development and talk to an advisor.
- Fellowships & Scholarships
Do you think that you need a 4.0 GPA to receive scholarships or fellowships? Well, you don't! There are fellowships and internships available for everyone, for every major. More information on Fellowships and Scholarships.
- For more information on working in a field related to your international experience, check out Abroad View, an online resource designed with students in mind. The website provides information on fellowships and careers, ways to act as a global citizen, and updates on world news and current events.
MOST Importantly...BE PATIENT
Allow yourself time to adjust. If you aren't feeling different, then you have missed the whole point of going. These changes mean that you have been challenged with finding a way to incorporate the new things that you care about into your choices at Gettysburg College and into the rest of your life. Many people don't know that our Counseling Center is full of people who have had significant international experiences. Any student can schedule an appointment to meet with an advisor there by calling x6960.