Fellowships to support Gettysburg students in summer research in a STEM discipline are available by competitive application to X-SIG (Cross-disciplinary Science Institute at Gettysburg) Board.
Students majoring in a STEM discipline (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Environmental Studies, Health Sciences, Mathematics, or Computer Science) and working on a natural or physical science project are eligible to apply. For summer 2014, a total of 34 fellows can be supported.
Deadlines for Summer 2014:
- Application due to Faculty sponsors: March 7, 2014
- Faculty sponsor letters due to X-SIG: March 14
- Notification of selection: March 21
- Acceptance by students: march 28
Students receiving stipends from the X-SIG Board can conduct full-time research for up to ten weeks during the summer under the guidance of a faculty member. Fellowships for shorter or longer (max 11 weeks) duration will be considered if appropriate. Special consideration will be given to:
- Interdisciplinary projects – projects that are mentored by two faculty from different departments, or proposed by students doing interdisciplinary research.
- Early career students and students from groups underrepresented in their major’s field (minority students and first generation college students in any major, women in chemistry, physics, mathematics or computer sciences).
- In addition, up to two fellowships can be awarded to students who have just graduated.
Fellowship conditions and obligations
Students will be paid $10.50/hr for 40 hrs per week for the length of their fellowship. Housing is provided at no additional fee.
Students are expected to attend weekly meetings as part of our summer HHMI program and encouraged to attend other HHMI sponsored events.
Students are expected to present a poster at Family Weekend.