Guidelines for Writing Off Campus Studies Recommendations

Letters of recommendation play a significant role in the application process for our students. In some cases, you are writing very detailed and time-consuming letters.

Here is information about our applicants and the application process to clarify the role that these letters play, with the goal of saving you some time and effort:

  • Approximately 90% of the students who apply for off campus study each year are accepted to their first-choice program.  Of the remaining 10% of students, about half are accepted to an alternate off campus program.  There is also an approximately 3% attrition rate.
  • Although there are some highly competitive off campus programs, most of the programs with which we work, regularly accept students with a 3.0 GPA or higher.  If our students meet the stated eligibility requirements for the program, our letters of recommendation play a less significant role. Given this, a brief letter supporting the student is perfectly acceptable.
  • If you would like more specific information about the competitiveness of certain programs or about the likelihood that a particular student will be accepted to a program, please feel free to contact CGE- we will respond quickly. We would like to support the work you do through these recommendations by helping you focus your energies where they are most needed.

Thank you for the role you play in making off campus study possible for our students.