Sources of Financial Aid

There are many sources of funding available to help pay for the cost of college. Some of you may already have a financial aid package, and others may be interested in finding some assistance to pay for the extra costs associated with a term off campus. Start your search for funding with the Office of Financial Aid at Gettysburg . Located on the corner of Stevens Street and Washington Street , the Office of Financial Aid is staffed with helpful and friendly people who can give you guidance on funding sources. All of the application materials for financial aid can be found on the Gettysburg College Financial Aid website.

As a Gettysburg student participating in an Affiliated Program, any financial aid you receive (with the exception of work study) will transfer to your off campus program. However, you still need to complete the necessary Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and other required documents as normal.

Students with additional financial concerns should make an appointment to see an advisor in the Center for Global Education as there are some other mechanisms in place to assist with the costs of study abroad. For example, the Off Campus Study Credit Advance may be available to be used to assist with “up front” costs associated with studying abroad such as Program Deposit or Flight costs. There are specific parameters associated with accessing these funds so please see CGE as soon as you are able.

NOTE: If you are off campus during the spring semester, it will be necessary for you to complete the following year's financial aid process before you leave since the FAFSA, Verification Worksheet, and the federal tax return require your signature.

Following are some specific details regarding funding programs:

The Eisenhower/Hilton Scholarship for Study Abroad

Seibert International Educational Experience Fund

CIEE Berlin Global Study Grant

Pell Grants
When filing for your off campus term, be sure to list Gettysburg College 's Title IV code (#003268) on the FAFSA.

Federal Stafford Loans
The base amount a dependent sophomore can borrow is $4,500 for the 2009-2010. A dependent junior or senior can borrow is $5,500 for the year. During 2008, Congress authorized an additional $2,000 each year in unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan funds for students at all grade levels.

PLUS Loans (Parent loan)
These loans enable parents to borrow up to the total cost of education minus any financial aid received.

State Grants
All state grant monies can be used for Gettysburg Affiliated off campus programs.

Gettysburg College Grants and Loans
All Gettysburg grants and loans can be used for Gettysburg Affiliated off campus programs, including Presidential, Dean's, Founder's, and Wagnild Scholarships.

Outside Awards/Scholarships 

Boren Scholarship

Boren Scholarships, an initiative of the National Security Education Program, provide unique funding opportunities for U.S. undergraduate students to study less commonly taught languages in world regions critical to U.S. interests, and underrepresented in study abroad

Freeman-ASIA Scholarship

Freeman-ASIA accepts applications from U.S. citizens or permanent residents studying at the undergraduate level at a two-year or four-year college or university who demonstrate financial need to study abroad in East or Southeast Asia.

Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship

The Gilman Scholarship Program is open to U.S. citizen undergraduate students who are receiving Federal Pell Grant funding at a two-year or four-year college or university to participate in study and intern abroad programs worldwide.

Outside Scholarships:

Many program providers also offer scholarships – so check with your program.

If you receive a scholarship or other form of financial aid from any source (affiliated program, foundation, civic organization, etc.) that is not listed on your Financial Aid Award Notification, you are required to report it to the Office of Financial Aid.

Outside assistance for financial aid recipients will result in a reduction of the work-study and/or loan after federal need (cost of attendance minus expected family contribution) is met. When the outside assistance exceeds the amount of work-study and/or loan awards, the Gettysburg College Grant must be adjusted.

If you are currently receiving outside assistance, make sure to check with the organization to determine if your award can be used to pay for off campus studies.