Grant Budgeting Guidelines

Frequently Asked Questions | Grant Application Checklist | Grant Budgeting Guidelines | Identifying Funding Sources

1. The College's indirect costs rate is 59% on only direct salaries and wages EXCLUDING fringe benefits. (Student salaries are included in this calculation of indirect costs.)

2. For full-time employees (full-time faculty during the academic year, administrators, and staff), you should calculate fringe benefits as 36% of salary.  For part-time employees (faculty, administrators, and staff) and for full-time faculty receiving summer salary (see #5 below), you should calculate fringe benefits as 7.65% of salary. 

3. We recommend you pay students via stipend for two months' summer work. When students are paid from College funds they receive $3000 as summer research assistants, and they are eligible for housing on campus (some receive free housing, some pay a modest fee)! However, some outside grants will pay student assistants more for outside work. If your granting institution will pay more, and you intend to use an experienced student who will be doing highly skilled work, or to employ the student for significantly more than ten weeks, then you may want to request more than $3000 per student for summer research.

4. The College pays no fringe benefits to students who work during the school year, but does pay FICA taxes on student employees for summer work. You should calculate fringe benefits of 7.65% on summer student wages/stipends.

5. A faculty member can only ask for the standard NSF amount of summer salary, which is 2/9ths of projected annual salary. (You should also estimate some yearly salary increase if it is a multi-year grant; we suggest 5% per year.) Our policy is that faculty should work no more than two months of the summer on a grant. The College will not spread the summer salary over the entire academic year or over the entire twelve months of salary payments. Stipends or summer salary received by faculty through sponsored research will be paid during the period in which the work is done. For example, if a faculty member receives an NSF grant that includes a salary supplement for work done during July and August, the College will pay that salary supplement over the pay periods in July and August.

If a faculty member applies for and receives external support for summer salary, fringe benefits should be calculated according to the Grant Budgeting Guidelines. In general, the only fringe benefit paid by the College on summer salary is FICA. The College's Summary Plan Description (SPD), states that the College pays retirement benefits on base salary only. As such, TIAA-CREF benefits will not be provided on summer salary.

6. If you are applying for released time in a grant, you should estimate a cost of one-sixth of your annual salary for each course. Although the College will almost always grant such released time, you should discuss this with your Department Chair and the Provost before submitting your grant proposal.

If a faculty member receives a fellowship, a grant, or other source of external funding in support of salary for a sabbatical, research, or other form of leave, that faculty member should make an appointment with the Budget Officer in the Provost's Office to discuss how that salary will be paid, e.g., by the College, by the granting agency, by a combination of both. If there is an accompanying reduction in salary, it will be important to understand how the salary should be distributed.

Course releases are not usually authorized for grant work unless released time and the accompanying salary reimbursement have been included in the grant application and approved by the granting agency. As in the salary support above, the faculty member should make an appointment with the Budget Officer in the Provost's Office to be certain appropriate reimbursement arrangements have been made.

7. If you will need additional postage and/or telephone resources for your research project and the granting agency to which you are applying allows this as an expense, we encourage you to apply for an appropriate amount of funding in these categories. Similarly, if you need additional equipment for your research, library materials, travel, etc., please apply for funding whenever possible.

8. If you will need secretarial support and want to request funding in your grant for such support, please keep the following issues in mind. First, all hiring for support positions must be done through Human Resources. You will, of course, be involved in the hiring decision, but the hiring must be done through the normal College channel. Second, do not assume that a present College employee, whether your Departmental secretary or someone else, can do the work in addition to, or as a replacement for, her/his present work-load. If you have a particular person in mind for your position, contact the Human Resources Office to discuss that person's present position before you write the support into your budget. Third, the type of work that your position will require should be considered in setting the pay scale. Again, you should contact Human Resources to help you determine the appropriate rate for the type of work being done. We are trying to avoid situations in which two employees at the College are doing identical work but being paid different salaries.