Before there was a Sunderman Conservatory, there was the Music Department at Gettysburg College. And before that department was formed shortly after World War II, there were decades of music-focused activities and groups on campus, including the first a cappella College Choir founded by Parker B. Wagnild.
Thanks to a college faculty committed to the installation and growth of music opportunities for all students at Gettysburg - and a generous gift by a remarkable alumnus -- what began as a Glee Club more than a century ago has evolved into the Conservatory of today.
See Music History at Gettysburg College: The First Fifty Years
Read more about Parker B. Wagnild in the Musselman Library archives.
As the seeds of the music department were being planted on campus, F. William Sunderman was front-and-center in the Gettysburg College music scene. In 1918, he led the Army Band on campus, as well as the Student Orchestra.
Fast-forward almost a century, and Dr. Sunderman -- a physician, pathologist, clinical scientist, chemist, toxicologist, author, editor, photographer, lifelong violinist and 1919 graduate of Gettysburg College - bequeathed his alma mater with a $14-million gift to establish the Sunderman Conservatory of Music.
Over the course of his life, Sunderman played his Stradivarius violin at Carnegie Hall, developed an antidote for nickel carbonyl poisoning and tested it on himself while working on the Manhattan Project, and was one of the first doctors to use insulin to revive a patient from a diabetic coma. Upon his death in 2003, after a lifetime of extraordinary experiences and accomplishments, Dr. Sunderman was the College's oldest alum at 104.
When he enabled the founding of the Sunderman Conservatory of Music at Gettysburg College, Dr. F. William Sunderman left behind a lasting legacy through which his beloved music will continue to fill the air across the campus ... and around the world.
Read more about Dr. F. William Sunderman, Class of 1919