The Sunderman Conservatory of Music provides excellent, comprehensive musical training grounded in the liberal arts for students who seek to make music integral to their lives, whether as a career or a life-long avocation. Honoring our place as a dynamic conservatory within one of the nation's leading liberal arts colleges, we foster rigorous study, creativity, intellectual curiosity, and joy in music.
The Conservatory emphasizes active engagement with a broad range of musical experiences; celebrates musical and cultural diversity; believes in the value of service through the arts; and promotes connections to the larger world.
- We engage the mind and heart through music.
- We provide superior musical instruction to students who wish to dedicate their lives to music.
- We embrace all cultures and inspire students to be musical citizens of the world.
- We believe that all musicians should become passionate educators, and advocates for their art.
- We nurture a lively, collaborative, and accomplished musical community.
- We offer ample opportunities for musical performance.
- We develop a high level of technical facility and musicality in solo and ensemble performance.
- We value tradition while encouraging innovation.
- We serve as a locus of rich cultural activity for the campus, the community, and the region.
- We foster the creative, scholarly, and pedagogical pursuits of our faculty.