All students are required to audition each academic year.
Fall 2014 Jazz Ensemble Audition Schedule, September 2nd - 8th, 2014
Audition sign-up sheets will be posted on the door of Room 216. Audition music sheets and audio are available below.
Audition Policy for Students Studying Abroad
- All students selected for jazz ensemble membership in September should be aware that any student studying abroad in the fall has the option of auditioning for chair placement in January.
- You should audition in the fall even if you will be abroad during the spring term.
- Please contact the director about any other situation that may be hinder your ability to participate for a full academic year by August 15th.
Horns (saxophone, trumpet, trombone)
- play major scales in a swing style using eighth notes: 4 flats and 4 sharps. quarter = 120
- perform the jazz etude* Confirmed (1st chorus only) from Intermediate Jazz Conception (Snidero) Advance Music.
- sight read an excerpt
- improvise over a 12 bar blues progression any key (required) and in the chord progression of Confirmed (optional).
Rhythm Section (piano, guitar, vibes, bass, drums)
- ALL RHYTHM SECTION PLAYERS: Play along with the jazz etude* Confirmed (1st chorus only)
- Drummers will play 12-16 measures in rock/funk, ballad, and Latin grooves.
- Pianists, guitarists, and vibraphonists will improvise over a 12 bar blues progression (any key).
- Bassists walk a bass line and improvise over a 12 bar blues progression (any key).
MUSIC PAGES - Confirmed
Regular weekly rehearsals are on Wednesday evenings beginning September 10th from 7:30-9:30 p.m. and a weekly sectional TBD.
Jazz is a vital part of the musical life on campus. Numerous performances scheduled this year include the Fall Family Weekend concert and the 26th Annual Winter Jazz Concert featuring world-renowned trumpeter George Rabbai as our guest soloist. Visit the SCM website to learn more about the jazz program via photos and recordings. A tour of Turkey, Italy, and France is under consideration for July 2015.
PLEASE SEND AN EMAIL TO email@example.com WITH YOUR NAME and INSTRUMENT IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING AN AUDITION FOR THE JAZZ ENSEMBLE.
Auditions for Jazz Ensemble vocalist(s) will take place between September 14th and September 18th.
Sign up for an audition slot at Dr. Jones' office, Schmucker 216, from September 5th - 10th.
- Sing the moderate swing tune I Thought About You
- Sing the ballad Skylark
- Scat sing one chorus of blues (key of your choice)
Music pages and music are available via the links below.
If you have questions, contact Dr. Jones: firstname.lastname@example.org