All students are required to audition each academic year.
Fall 2013 Jazz Ensemble Audition Schedule, August 27-September 2, 2013
Audition sign-up sheets will be posted on the door of Room 216. Audition music clips available below.
Audition Policy for Students Studying Abroad
- All students selected for jazz ensemble membership in September should be aware that any student studying abroad in the fall has the option of auditioning for chair placement in January.
- You should audition in the fall even if you will be abroad during the spring term.
- Please contact the director about any other situation that may be hinder your ability to participate for a full academic year.
Horns (saxophone, trumpet, trombone)
- play major scales in a swing style using eighth notes: 4 flats and 4 sharps. quarter = 120
- perform the jazz etude* The Sum of Your Attributes (1st chorus only) from Effective Etudes For Jazz (Carubia/Jarvis) Kendor Music, Inc.
- sight read an excerpt
- improvise over a 12 bar blues progression any key (required) and in the chord progression of The Sum of All Your Attributes (optional).
Rhythm Section (piano, guitar, bass, drums)
- ALL RHYTHM SECTION PLAYERS: Play along with the jazz etude* I've Got Your Rhythm from Effective Etudes For Jazz (Carubia/Jarvis)
- Drummers should play12-16 measures play in rock/funk, ballad, and Latin grooves.
- Pianists and guitarists improvise over a 12 bar blues progression (any key).
- Bassists walk a bass line and improvise over a 12 bar blues progression (any key).
MUSIC PAGES - The Sum of All Your Attributes
MUSIC PAGES - I Got Yer Rhythm!
Regular weekly rehearsals are on Wednesday evenings beginning September 5th from 7:30-9:30 p.m. and a weekly sectional TBD
Jazz is a vital part of the musical life on campus. Numerous performances scheduled this year include the Fall Family Weekend concert and the 25th Annual Winter Jazz Concert featuring world-renowned saxophonist Tim Warfield as our guest soloist. Visit the SCM website to learn more about the jazz program via photos, recordings, and a blog of our 2011 European tour.
PLEASE SEND AN EMAIL TO email@example.com WITH YOUR NAME and INSTRUMENT IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING AN AUDITION FOR THE JAZZ ENSEMBLE.
Auditions for Jazz Ensemble vocalist will take place between September 9 and September 13.
Sign up for an audition slot at Dr. Jones' office, Schmucker 216, after September 1.
- Sing the ballad My Funny Valentine
- Sing the moderate swing tune The Days of Wine and Roses
- Scat sing one chorus of blues (key of your choice)
If you have questions, contact Dr. Jones: firstname.lastname@example.org