All students who are music majors are required to participate in their primary performing medium (instrument or voice) for credit in at least one major ensemble each semester of residence.
- For string players, the major ensemble is the Orchestra.
- For brass, percussion, and woodwind players, the major ensembles are the Orchestra and Wind Symphony.
- For singers, the major ensembles are College Choir, Women's Choir, or Concert Choir. Singers pursuing the BM in Performance should also participate in Opera Workshop for a minimum of two semesters.
- Those students who play piano or guitar can satisfy the requirement by participation in either vocal or instrumental groups.
- All Bachelor of Music students are required to participate in chamber ensembles or appropriate chamber music experiences defined by their degree requirements.
Music majors planning to graduate with the BA degree should register for MUS_ENS 330: Advanced Ensemble in their sixth (6th) semester of participation in the same major ensemble for a full course credit. NOTE: BS degree students may take MUS_ENS 330 as an elective credit in their sixth (6th) semester of participation in the same ensemble for a full course credit.
Music minors receiving Wagnild or Patrick awards have the same requirements as music majors. Others should follow the catalog requirements for the minor. Music minors should also note that in the fourth (4th) semester of their participation in a major ensemble (as defined above), they must register for MUS_ENS 230: Advanced Ensemble Performance to fulfill the ensemble requirement for the minor.