Gettysburg College students who would like to obtain a Pennsylvania Teaching Certificate, but are unable to do so within four years because of a crowded course schedule of requirements, may be able to take advantage of the Education Department's Ninth Semester option. This option for student teaching, which is limited to the first semester following a student's graduation from the College, includes the capstone courses necessary to complete certification requirements. This is not an option for December graduates since student teaching is only offered during the fall semester. Tuition charges for students taking advantage of the Ninth Semester option is about 10% of the annual tuition rate (not including technology fees, Praxis exam fees, State Certification fees, meals, and housing). To exercise the Ninth Semester option, students must meet the following conditions:
- Completed application to the Education Semester. The application must be submitted to the Education Department by October 15 of the year preceding the Ninth Semester.
- Acceptance into the Teacher Education program by the Teacher Education Committee. Students must meet all published requirements, including minimum GPA, as published in the College catalogue and described in the Handbook for Teacher Education.
- Graduation from Gettysburg College, with an approved major, the semester before the Education Semester. The Ninth Semester must be contiguous to undergraduate studies at Gettysburg College and must be pre-planned as such. The cost/option for Ninth Semester is separate from Special Student Status; it is to be used for the Education Semester only. The Ninth Semester plan should in no way be misconstrued as graduate work, although some students may have already completed requirements for the Bachelor's Degree.
- Housing secured by the student. Students are responsible for finding and funding their own housing and meals during the Ninth Semester. It is therefore recommended that all students interested in the Ninth Semester option secure their own housing well in advance of actual enrollment in the Education Semester. Campus housing may be an option depending on availability.
- Advice from Education Department faculty. All students interested in the Ninth Semester option should make an appointment with an Education Department faculty member as soon as possible to discuss particulars and plan accordingly.
For additional details, or if you have questions, contact your Education Advisor.