History Major Check Sheet
Requirements for a major in history consist of ten courses.
- A 100-level world history course
- A Historical Method course that provides special opportunities for group work and collaborative research
- At least three courses at the 300 (advanced) level
- Four courses at the 200 or 300 level, chosen from at least four of the following groups: North American, European, Asian, Latin American, African, Islamic, Comparative History.
The Capstone Experience: Senior Research Seminar
As a senior, each history major must select a research seminar as the capstone course in the history program.
A selection of senior seminars is offered each year. They provide students with an opportunity to work in small groups with a faculty member in research of a selected topic. Typically, participants are expected to engage in reading, discussion, oral reports, writing of formal papers based on individual research, and critiques of each other's work.
History Minor Check Sheet - Effective with the Classes of 2015 and 2016
History Minor Check Sheet - Effective with the Class of 2017
The minor consists of six courses.
- No more than two of the courses may at the 100 level
- At least two must be at the 300 level, and one of which must be History 300: Historical Method
- One course may be from the Courses from Other Departments list for the major.
- No more than one AP or transfer credit may count toward the minor
Minor courses may not be taken S/U.