All medical schools require the following courses:
- 1 year of general biology with labs
- 1 year of general chemistry with labs
- 1 year of organic chemistry with labs
- 1 year of general physics with labs
- Some medical schools may also require math and/or English courses. A few schools also require other specific courses.
- Information about the requirements for specific allopathic medical schools can be found in the Medical School Admission Requirements (MSAR), a publication of the Association of American Medical Colleges that is updated annually (www.aamc.org/msar).
- Information about the requirements for specific osteopathic medical schools can be found in the Osteopathic Medical College Information Book (CIB), a publication of the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine that is updated annually (www.aacom.org).
- It is important that students identify the medical schools to which they plan to apply, so that the required courses can be incorporated into their four year schedule of courses.