Type of Projects Supported:
- Ongoing arts, humanities, social sciences, or interdisciplinary research or creative projects undertaken by first-year, sophomore, or junior students.
- A maximum of $1000 is available for each project funded.
- The SR funds are not intended to make the project possible but are to be used in support of supplies, equipment, and travel expenses associated with completing the project.
- All supported projects must be compliant with the College's ethical review policies.
Who May Apply/Application Deadlines:
- Current first-years, sophomores, and juniors who are in the process of undertaking a research or creative project.
- The annual deadline for projects carried out during the summer is April 15; for Fall projects, October 15; and for Spring projects, February 15. These application deadlines will be strictly adhered to unless a strong case for an extension can be made in writing by the faculty member advising the student’s project.
How to Apply:
- Applying for Student Research funds is a two-step process: (1) Students who are requesting these funds need to fill out and submit the online form "Student Research Funding Application." This will send the information to their faculty mentor for his/her review (2) Faculty mentors will receive an e-mail version of the student’s application and, upon review, will be asked to indicate their approval by forwarding the e-mail to Maureen Forrestal and Paula Baer, having typed "I approve" in the message section of the e-mail. It should be noted that, ideally, the student and the faculty mentor will have met in person to discuss the specifics of the request but the approval process itself will be done via e-mail.
Distribution of Funds
Once the award has been announced, the student may request reimbursement for expenses. Students should submit original receipts along with their full names, home address, and student ID number to their department administrative assistant, who will complete a check reimbursement form and send it to Paula Baer in the Asian Studies Office, Campus Mailbox 441. No travel advances will be issued.