Gettysburg College's Founders Day is coming up at the end of the week. See what President Janet Morgan Riggs '77 had to say about Founders Day 2012. Read on to find out more about Founders Day and what you can do to show your pride, connect with fellow 'Burgians, and support the College this year.
Dear Alumni, Parents and Friends,
April 7 marks the 180th anniversary of the founding of Gettysburg College. Well, actually, we were Pennsylvania College of Gettysburg back in 1832, and the tenth such institution chartered in the state. This significant milestone in the College’s history coincides with the Sesquicentennial Commemoration of the American Civil War (2011-15).
It is altogether fitting that we remember this great College on its Founders Day. I am often asked what you can do to help Gettysburg College. There are many things you can do, but I am going to name just a few:
• Dig out your Gettysburg College t-shirt or hat and wear it this weekend in honor of Founders Day.
• Find that Gettysburg College decal that’s been in your reunion packet from the last time you visited campus and put it on your car.
• If you are from the class years 2 or 7 mark your calendar now and plan to return to campus June 1-3 for Reunion Weekend. It’s my 35th reunion so I will see you here!
• As the Gettysburg Fund year closes May 31 please remember the College. Every gift counts! Thanks.
• Help us identify bright, engaged, and intellectually curious young people, and tell them about Gettysburg College.
In celebration of our College’s charter 180 years ago, I hope to see you on campus this spring, or when I travel to your community.
All the best,
Janet Morgan Riggs ‘77
Need more ideas about how to show your pride? Wear orange and blue while...
Finishing up your work week.
Volunteering in your community, or just helping a neighbor.
Reading a book or attending a lecture...and no, there won't be a pop quiz on Monday!
Reaching out and saying hello to all those college friends you haven't talked to in ages.
Participating in outdoor activities with family and friends.
Snap some photos and share your Gettysburg College pride with the campus community. Post them to Gettysburg College's Facebook and Twitter...and don't forget to use the #gbcfoundersday hashtag while chatting on Twitter!Posted: Tue, 3 Apr 2012