All Events at Gettysburg College are required to have a Sponsoring Department and a College Agent. The following types of organization may act as an event’s Sponsoring Department:
- A student organization that has registered with the Office of Student Activities and Greek Life.
- An academic department or program
- An administrative department
- The Conference and Event Office
The act of sponsoring an event commits the Sponsoring Department to the following:
- The Sponsoring Department will have a College Agent (current faculty, administrator, staff or student) who is responsible for the following:
- Making all necessary arrangements including but not limited to scheduling space, advertising, coordinating with College Dining Services and the appropriate technology support organization.
- Assuring compliance with all campus policies and guidelines.
- Being present at the event to ensure its success and that the space in which it is held is returned to its original configuration after the event.
- The Sponsoring Department will be clearly identified in all publicity materials.
- The Sponsoring Department will accept financial responsibility for any costs incurred by the College with regard to the event and must provide a Gettysburg College internal account number (GL) prior to the event.
Gettysburg College has defined two types of events: College-Sponsored Events and Non-College-Sponsored Events.
A College-Sponsored Event will have the following characteristics:
- Approved by the head of the Sponsoring Department
- Attended by a College Agent
- The event may include inviting a non-college individual or organization to campus.
- Students may schedule events during the Academic Year when classes are in session: event is initiated by a student organization that has registered with the Office of Student Activities and Greek Life. The event must have the approval of the organization’s executive board or club leadership.
- Employees: event is initiated by an academic department or program or by an administrative department and has the approval of the chair or head of the department.
Please Note: Before scheduling the event, check with the Sponsoring Department’s leadership to confirm their willingness to sponsor the event.
Outside the Academic Year
All events, camps and conferences outside the Academic Year are strongly encouraged to schedule and coordinate with the Conference and Event Office.
A Non-College-Sponsored Event will have the following characteristics:
- Approved by the Conference and Event Office which will be the Sponsoring Department for the event
- Hosted by a non-college affiliated person or organization.
- Hosted by an individual Gettysburg College audience member or affiliate acting on their own behalf.
- Event is initiated through the Conference and Event Office who will act as the College Agent for the event. The event will be required to have proof of insurance and will be billed according to their specific requests.
Non-College-Sponsored Event Categories:
Outside the Academic Year
All events, camps and conferences outside the Academic Year are strongly encouraged to schedule via the Conference and Event Office.
During the Academic Year
- During the Academic Year Non-College-Sponsored Events may only be scheduled during the following months: November, December, January, February, March.
- Weekend Conferences may be scheduled after April 1st for the following Academic Year. They may be held in Glatfelter, McCreary, Science or Masters Halls between the hours of 5pm on Friday and noon on Sunday.
- Ad Hoc Requests may be scheduled in classroom spaces after the Drop-Add period for a given semester.
- Seasonal Gatherings may be scheduled after April 1st for the following Academic Year. They may only be held in the CUB Ballroom or the Attic and between Finals week of the Fall Semester and the First Day of Classes in the Spring semester.
Examples of College Sponsored and Non-College Sponsored Events:
- A departmental social (i.e. a retirement reception for an employee) College Sponsored
- A social hosted by an employee (i.e. a birthday party for a family member) Non-College Sponsored
- An academic conference organized by a College department during the Academic Year (if charging a fee, the Conference and Event Office can help support) College Sponsored
- An academic conference organized by a College department outside the Academic Year (if charging a fee, the Conference and Event Office can help support) College Sponsored
For College-Sponsored Events
For Non College-Sponsored Events