The Special Collections & College Archives Department of Musselman Library invites juniors and seniors to submit applications for the Robert ‘44 Esther Kenyon Fortenbaugh ‘46 Spring 2017 Internship. While this internship is open to all students regardless of major, it offers exceptional opportunities to students of history or related disciplines who wish to gain firsthand experience in archives and public history.
Special Collections holdings include a variety of materials including rare books, letters, diaries, photographs, historic maps, artifacts, oral histories, and art. It is the home of the Gettysburg College Archives, which includes documents and publications related to the history of the College. Special Collections has an exceptional collection of Civil War materials and local history as well as notable named collections including the Stephen H. Warner Southeast Asia Photograph Collection, the Stuckenberg Map Collection and the Asian Art Collection.
The Robert ’44 and Esther Kenyon Fortenbaugh ‘46 Intern should expect to spend six to eight hours per week in Special Collections when classes are in session. This internship carries a stipend ($8.50 per hour, 6-8 hours per week, 14 weeks). The Special Collections staff will make every effort to tailor the internship duties to the talents and interests of the intern. A few examples of the work an intern might engage in:
- Assist with processing collections by rehousing and organizing records or manuscript collections and preparing finding aids.
- Assist with reference service by providing research assistance to Special Collections patrons.
- Assist with GettDigital projects by creating digital content and metadata, working with the CONTENTdm database.
To apply, please submit:
- A resume
- The names and contact information for 1-2 references (references should be faculty members who can tell us about you and your work in the classroom, and/or your supervisor in a campus job or other relevant job)
- A letter of interest indicating specifically why you would like to be an intern in Special Collections & College Archives, your career goals, and any relevant courses.
Want to know what our internships are really like? Read Blogging the Library, an online journal by our recent Fortenbaugh Interns.