Mary G. Stuckenberg (1849-1934)
Mary Gingrich met John H.W. Stuckenberg as a young girl when he was serving as a pastorate in her hometown of Erie, PA. They married in 1869, after he completed his service as a chaplain in the Civil War. Soon after, they moved to Wittenberg College in Ohio, where John was hired as a professor of theology. They traveled to his native Germany several times where they both worked to establish the American Church in Berlin.
Mary Stuckenberg and Gettysburg College
Over the years, John became increasingly interested in Gettysburg College (then Pennsylvania College) and a few years after his death in 1903, Mary moved here.
Mary founded the Woman's League at Gettysburg College, a women's group that raised funds for College religious programs and activities. She also recruited Lutheran women in other towns to form branch leagues in their communities. She was the first president of the general league when it organized in 1910.
Mary also endowed the J. H. W. Stuckenberg Memorial Lectureship in honor of her husband. Their estate, which includes an extensive map and atlas collection, was left to the College. She and her husband are interred at the Gettysburg National Cemetery.
Mary Stuckenberg Portrait
This portrait of Mary Gingrich Stuckenber was completed in 1894 when Mary was 45 years old. The work is an oil on canvas and is signed F. Sange. The portrait was restored thanks to funds from the Women's League of Gettysburg College.
Want to know more?
Suggest an artiFACT: email@example.com
Curated by Musselman Library