Gettysburg College is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE), and undergoes a reaccreditation every 10 years. This reaccreditation process is centered on an institutional self-study leading up to a campus visit by Middle States external evaluators. The College’s last decennial evaluation was in 2004, and the current process will conclude with an external evaluation team visit the spring of 2014.
The process is a chance to review progress and areas for improvement in all of the College’s operations—from academics to administrative practices, and an opportunity to strengthen the College through a comprehensive evaluation.
About Middle States
The Middle States Commission on Higher Education is a voluntary, non-governmental, membership association that is dedicated to quality assurance and improvement through accreditation via peer evaluation. Middle States accreditation instills public confidence in institutional mission, goals, performance, and resources through its rigorous accreditation standards and their enforcement.
Middle States' accreditation is an expression of confidence in an institution's mission and goals, its performance, and its resources. Based upon the results of institutional review by peers and colleagues assigned by the Commission, accreditation attests to the judgment of the Commission on Higher Education that an institution has met the following criteria:
- that it has a mission appropriate to higher education;
- that it is guided by well-defined and appropriate goals, including goals for student learning;
- that it has established conditions and procedures under which its mission and goals can be realized;
- that it assesses both institutional effectiveness and student learning outcomes, and uses the results for improvement;
- that it is accomplishing its mission and goals substantially;
- that it is organized, staffed, and supported so that it can be expected to continue to accomplish its mission and goals; and
- that it meets the requirements of affiliation and standards of the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.