Dear Campus Community,
The National Weather Service has issued continued warnings for the potential for severe weather related to Hurricane Sandy, which has been downgraded to a post-tropical cyclone. A high wind advisory is in effect until noon today. The most severe weather hit the Gettysburg area Monday night and early Tuesday morning.
After evaluating the conditions on campus, Gettysburg College will be open for regular business operations and classes will take place as scheduled on Wednesday, Oct. 31.
The campus came through the severe weather brought on by Hurricane Sandy quite well with little or minimal damage – several downed branches, a few buildings taking on a minor amount of water, and some low-lying areas experienced minor flooding.
While the majority of campus experienced little to no power interruption, three fraternities (Lambda Chi Alpha, Phi Delta Theta, and Sigma Nu) have lost power. The Office of Residence Life is working with the students in those fraternities to relocate them until power can be restored.
Key information for the campus community:
• Please refer to the College website regarding additional event or emergency information.
• The Dining Center, Bullet Hole, and Commons will be open under normal operating hours.
• The 24-hour academic spaces around campus remain available for student use.
• The Jaeger Center for Athletics, Recreation, and Fitness will open from 1 p.m. to 11 p.m. today, Oct 30.
• Musselman Library will open with limited services from 1 p.m. to 10 p.m. today, Oct 30.
• Parking lots that have been closed will reopen by 6 p.m. today, Oct. 30.
Please exercise common sense, particularly when there is the potential for power loss. Students are not permitted to light candles in residence halls. In the event of a power outage, remain in your rooms until further notice. For specific information about residences halls during a power outage, visit http://www.gettysburg.edu/poweroutage.
Updates of a serious or timely nature will be sent via College email or text message to cell phones.
Please report water leaks, building damage, or power loss to Facilities Services at 717.337.6700. After hours, contact the Department of Public Safety (DPS) at 717.337.6911.
Additional questions can be directed to DPS at 717.337.6911.
Campus Emergency Response Team (CERT)
Updated: Oct. 30 at noon
Posted: Tue, 30 Oct 2012
Get all the latest news delivered to your inbox or RSS reader:
The Office of Communications and Marketing is looking for stories about Gettysburgians doing great work.
Send your suggestions to email@example.com.