Dear Gettysburg College First-Year Student,
The faculty and staff of Gettysburg College share your excitement and ambition for all aspects of your life, in and out of the classroom. Your personal and academic development, and that of your peers, is the cornerstone of a partnership that will last during your years here and beyond. It is an exciting journey on which we embark together.
As you well know, alcohol and other drugs are a significant issue in the lives of students in both high school and college and throughout our lives. Whether you abstain from alcohol and drug use entirely or not, it is an influence in your life and in the lives of your family and friends. Gettysburg College has joined together with many top schools in the country in adopting AlcoholEdu for College and Haven as a mandatory component of our alcohol prevention as well as sexual misconduct and relationship violence prevention initiatives. AlcoholEdu for College is not an over-simplified lecture about the use of alcohol and drugs. It is a thoughtful, science-based program for adults committed to thinking about their life choices.
Your physical and emotional health serves as a critical foundation for your success in college. Your commitment to yourself comes with a shared commitment to the health and welfare of others. Just as you have throughout your life, you will have a special opportunity to impact the lives of your peers in positive and productive ways, and we are committed to helping you do so in any way that we can.
To this end, we require every new incoming Gettysburg College student to complete AlcoholEdu for College and Haven before arriving on campus.
AlcoholEdu for College has two sections, and Haven is one course with several sections that will take an additional 45 minutes to an hour to complete. You must complete both sections of AlcoholEdu and Haven to fulfill this requirement or you will be placed on a registration hold and ineligible to register for spring classes:
- You may access both courses beginning Monday, August 4.
- Part 1 of AlcoholEdu takes approximately 2-3 hours to complete, and we recommend that you take it in multiple sittings. This part ends after the Exam and Survey 2. You must earn a grade of 75% or higher to pass and receive credit for the course. The deadline for finishing Part 1 is Friday, August 29.
- About 30 Days after you complete Part 1, you will receive an email asking you to complete Part 2, which takes approximately 15 minutes. The deadline to complete Part 2 is Monday, October 27.
- Haven is a separate course that you can take at any point before the August 29 deadline.
- NOTE: Only once you’ve finished Part 2 have you completed the program.
To take AlcoholEdu for College and Haven, you will need a computer with Internet access and audio capabilities. If you do not have access to a computer, you can use any publicly available computer with Internet access.
Please note that AlcoholEdu for College includes three surveys that measure students’ alcohol-related attitudes and behaviors, and Haven will cover information on sexual misconduct. All survey responses are strictly confidential; Gettysburg College will only receive information about the student body as a whole and will NEVER see any individual student's answers.
Instructions for accessing AlcoholEdu will be sent to your Gettysburg College email account on Friday, August 1.