MS – 187: Papers of Gregory J. Landrey, Class of 1977
(1 box, .27 cubic feet)
Processed by Devin McKinney
Inclusive dates: 1910-1977
Bulk date: 1977
The papers consist of 1 box containing 4 folders and 2 envelopes.
Donation of Gregory J. Landrey, February 2012.
In January Term of his senior year, Gettysburg College history major Gregory J. Landrey ‘77 took an individualized study course under Professor Charles Glatfelter. His project—an up-to-date chronicle of the college’s real estate history including land purchases, demolished buildings, and recent construction projects—entailed extensive research in numerous college offices, as well as at the Adams County Historical Society. As the project proceeded, it also expanded, ultimately taking the entire spring semester to complete.
Landrey’s final 68-page paper, titled A History of the Gettysburg College Campus, was submitted on May 27, 1977. Recognized as an important addition to the chronicles of the college, it was duplicated, bound, and added to Schmucker (now Musselman) Library’s general and special collections. Glatfelter later acknowledged Landrey’s work in his definitive institutional history, A Salutary Influence: Gettysburg College, 1832-1985 (1987). Today the Landrey monograph is frequently consulted by students in connection with their own college history projects.
Scope and content note
This collection contains, in addition to a few photocopied documents, Greg Landrey’s handwritten notes, survey drawings, and index cards. It also includes the complete holographic draft of A History of the Gettysburg College Campus.
Special Collections possesses several other resources that usefully augment these papers. Among them are:
When Classes are in session:
M, Th, F : 1 - 5 PM
T, W : 1 - 5 and 6 - 9 PM
Other times by appointment
Gettysburg College Box 420
Gettysburg, PA 17325
717-337-7002 ~ Director
717-337-7006 ~ College Archivist
717-337-7014 ~ General Inquiries