MS - 038: Pen and Sword Society Papers
MS – 038: Pen and Sword Society Papers
(1 box, .27 cubic feet)
Inclusive Dates: 1904-1943
Processed by: Christine M. Ameduri
(taken from Fourteenth Annual Public Exercises of Penn and Sword Society, 1912)
The Pen and Sword Society was founded in September, 1897, by Wm. J. Geis, Ph.D., 93. A mass meeting of the students was held on Saturday, September 4, of that year, and as a result the Society was formally organized and consisted of eleven charter members, eight undergraduates and three alumni. These charter members are C. T. Lark, 98, W. M. Burns, 01, S. M. Lutz, 98, D. Dale, 00, R. W. Woods, 98, L. S. Weaver, 99, E. W. Meisenhelder, 98, O. G. Klinger, 86, H. C. Alleman, 87, and W. J. Gies, 93.
The purpose of the Society was, and is today, to honor those, who by their energy and successful efforts in furthering the prestige of the College in the past, show that they are willing and capable of exerting themselves in a special manner in the interest and welfare of the Alma Mater in the future.
Scope and Content Notes:
The collection consists of the official records of the Society between 1904 and 1943.