In April of 1832, the Pennsylvania Legislature with the approval of the Governor granted a charter effectively changing Gettysburg Gymnasium into the Pennsylvania College of Gettysburg.
The charter, drafted by chief founder of the college, Samuel Simon Schmucker called for it's sponsoring patrons to elect 21 trustees to be responsible for transacting all college business.
In 1834, after the Pennsylvania Legislature granted the college $18,000 to secure land and a building, the trustees commissioned architect John Cresson Trautwine to design an edifice which would be "both useful and in good taste". In September of 1835 the Board of Trustees approved Trautwine's design whose original drawing is pictured on the left.
Scope and Content Notes:
This collection includes Board reports, honorary degrees, Finance, Executive and various other committee reports, correspondence and other miscellaneous materials pertaining to the business and functions of the Board of Trustees. Bound photocopies of the minute books from 1832 to 1984 are also included in the collection.