Opening Convocation Highlights, August 24, 2011
About the Class of 2015
The approximately 732 members of Class of 2015 were drawn from an outstanding total applicant pool of over 5,600 students and represent 31 states and 5 countries.
A brief list of some of their accomplishments:
- One has conducted research on Squirrel Monkeys in Costa Rica.
- One has had five articles published in the High School Journalism National online newspaper.
- One has worked on a Sea Turtle preservation project on Kiawah Island, South Carolina.
- One has interned in the Molecular Detection Group of the National Cancer Institute.
- One was the teen host for McDonald's Steelers Kidzone TV.
- One won third place in the World Robotics competition.
- One is a published poet.
- One won a Congressional art award.
- One plays six instruments.
- One is a founding member of "Socks for Soldiers" and processed 6,786 pairs of socks for soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan.
- One volunteered in an African orphanage.
- One raised $220,000 for the Muscular Dystrophy Association.
- One is the director of 90% Noise, a non-profit group that raises money for schools in developing countries.
- One has performed in Boston's Symphony Hall seven times.
- One interned with designer Diane von Furstenberg.
- One sang the National Anthem with the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra.
- And one has climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro.