An internship is a partnership between individual students, Gettysburg College, and companies or organizations where short-term work/learning experiences are offered to students. It is a way for students to connect the learning from their classrooms to the "world of work."
- Can be paid or unpaid
- Can take place during the course of the academic semester or over the summer
- May be eligible for academic credit (minimum of 160 hours = 1 course credit, 80 hours = ½ credit, or 40 hours = ¼ credit)
- May be related to a career interest or part of the student's academic curriculum
- Have defined learning goals and are monitored for progress
- Promote academic, career and/or personal development
Students who are suspended/on leave of absence/withdrawn/below a 2.0 cumulative GPA are not eligible to participate in internships for Gettysburg College credit. The College will not provide a letter of eligibility or sponsorship and will not provide liability insurance while you are separated from the College.
Students completing an internship have two options:
1) Internships taken for academic credit are carefully designed to provide a program with a substantial academic component, as well as practical value.
2) Not for Credit ("College Approved internships") do not carry any academic credit, but do allow students to gain practical experience in a chosen career field.
Once you have been offered and have accepted an internship, you need to login to the Student Center and complete the following paperwork by the appropriate deadlines.
- Learning Contract (for academic credit internships)
- College-Approved Learning Contract (for non-credit internships)
- International Student Guide
We recommend that you check your email frequently, as this will be our mode of communication with you throughout the internship process.
The application for internship funding is available. Learn more.
Internship Paperwork Deadlines
Summer: June 15, 2016
Fall: September 9, 2016 (drop/add date)
Spring: January 29, 2016 (drop/add date)