Read our Job Search Handout
10 Tips to Advance Your Job Search
- Have a resume that clearly articulates your experiences, accomplishments, and skills AND how these relate to the position you have applied to.
- Talk to people you know about your career aspirations. This is networking!
- Use several resources to find jobs: internet, personal/professional connections, associations, etc.
- Arrive at each interview well prepared and knowledgeable about the employer.
- Have a positive attitude.
- Look and feel your best at each interview. Sleep well the night before, dress professionally, shine your shoes!
- Carve out time specifically for your job search. It can take 6-9 months (or more) to secure the right job.
- Know why an employer should hire you and be able to communicate this verbally.
- Refine your job search and narrow it down to a couple of types of jobs you are looking for.
- Develop a list of potential employers and check their websites on a regular basis.
Thinking about working abroad or taking time off after graduation?
This can be a valuable and enriching experience if planned carefully and thoughtfully. Read more about things to consider and suggested websites for review.
What job can I get with a major in .....?
Every spring we survey the most recent graduating class about one year after their graduation from Gettysburg to hear about their job, graduate school and other experiences. Interested to know the types of jobs students have from various majors?
Check out the Class of 2012 Job Placement. In this document you can see where alumni are working sorted by Major.
NACE Job Choices 2013 Magazine - great job search resources inside!