Dear Fraternity and Sorority New Members at Gettysburg College:
The policies put in place by the Office of Greek Organizations were implemented to ensure that all the members of our organizations, whether they are new members, pledges, or associates, are guaranteed basic standards of fair treatment. Unfortunately, sometimes these standards are violated and members of our organizations are subject to unfair treatment or unfair living standards as a result. When that treatment occurs, many of them do not know how to put a stop to it, or do not realize that they have a right not to be treated that way.
Every chapter has a different new member program. Most are based on the same values, but reflect subtle differences. One value found in all organizations is the value of brotherhood/sisterhood. This encompasses the idea of bringing together all of our members to face challenges together. Sometimes behavior occurs that is contrary to this value, and the values our chapters were founded upon. To clarify these issues please read carefully your rights as a new member of a Greek Organization.
As a new member of a Greek Organization you have the right...
- Not to be abused, either physically or verbally
- Not to undergo any type of program that significantly deprives you of sleep or basic physiological needs.
- Not to consume alcohol at any time you choose not to.
- Not to participate in any behavior that you feel undermines your self esteem, or that you feel is not in good taste.
- To be treated as an individual.
- To be fully informed about recruitment process.
- To ask questions and receive true and objective answers from recruitment counselors and members.
- To be treated with respect.
- To be treated as a capable ad mature person without being patronized.
- To have and express opinions to recruitments counselors and/or members.
- To make informed choices without undue pressure from others.
- To be fully informed about the binding agreements implicit in the acceptance card signing.
- To make one' own choice and decision and accept full responsibility for the results of that decisions.
- To have positive, safe, and enriching recruitment and new member education experience.
If you feel that your rights have been violated in any way then you can disclose that information either in person (at the Office of Greek Organizations) or online.