The Office of Residential & First-Year Programs (RFYP) employs 5-6 student assistants each semester to assist with the day-to-day activities in the central office. Each position will average 4-10 hours per week, depending on student schedules and hours availability.
Please check GettysburgWorks at the beginning of each semester to see if there are any openings for this job opportunity in Residence Life.
RFYP oversees several aspects of student life including (but not limited to) student housing; first-year orientation; Charting Your Course (extended orientation); supervision of Residence Coordinator, Resident Assistant, and Community Adviser staff; and the College House program.
Successful candidates should possess the following qualities:
- Be an excellent team player and representative of Gettysburg College.
- Take initiative and be able to work independently.
- Have strong verbal and written abilities.
- Pay close attention to details.
- Be an effective communicator with students and family members.
- Be familiar with Gettysburg resources, services, and departments.
- Possess a high level of maturity and an ability to use independent judgment.
- Be prompt, punctual, and dependable.
- Be personable and friendly.
- Be willing to learn and grow through the position.
Position Tasks and Duties:
Duties include general office procedures of:
- Serve as the first and primary point of contact for individuals calling, e-mailing or visiting the Office of Residential & First-Year Programs.
- Assisting students, parents, and other visitors or callers to the office
- Answering the telephone (responding to basic inquiries, setting up appointments, taking clear and concise messages)
- Understand RFYP protocols, policies, and processes in order to assist students, parents, and staff over the summer in relation to students’ residential experiences
- Telephoning students to relay messages
- Computer data entry
- Copying and filing
- Sending out bulk mailings
- Assisting with special events
- Special projects
- Other office duties as assigned
- Maintain confidentiality in regards to all information made available through position
- Other duties as assigned
- Working knowledge of/willingness to learn: Creative Suites3, CMS (website management system), Housing Director, Moodle, Google Drive, and Microsoft Office Suite, internet (Firefox, Chrome, etc.) – all of these programs are utilized heavily by program coordinators and coordinator assistant