Early Arrival Policy and Procedures - Fall 2017
All residence halls for upperclass students will open at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, August 26, 2017. Check-in and key pick-up will occur in CUB 250 on Saturday, August 26, 2017, 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. Check-in and key pick-up will continue on Sunday, August 27, 2017, 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Some upperclass students are required to be on campus before August 26; this is considered an early arrival. Please review the information below in order to plan travel back to campus in a manner that makes it possible for to access your room when you arrive.
First-year student move-in is scheduled for Wednesday, August 23, 2017. First-year students may arrive on campus early ONLY if they are part of a group approved for early arrival (NCAA athletic team, band, Ascent, etc.). No individual requests will be accepted.
Group Early Arrivals
Gettysburg College and its staff is committed to providing on campus housing for student groups needing to arrive on campus early either because of external requirements of the program (e.g. NCAA Athletics) or due to the inherent needs of the program (e.g. Orientation).
If you are a member of an organization/group arrival early (athletic team, band, etc.) you should not submit an individual request for early arrival. The department hosting you will submit your name to the Office of Residential & First-Year Programs.
Individual Early Arrival Guidelines and Fee Schedule for Upperclass Students
- Individual Early Arrival is intended for students who need to return early to Gettysburg in order to attend to personal college-related business/tasks (e.g., medical appointment as part of a return from a Medical Leave of Absence), and/or other exceptional circumstances. Individual early arrival is not intended for those who want to settle into their room early.
- Students must use CNAV/MyHousing to request an early arrival (see section below for more details). The early arrival request form will open on Monday, July 17.
- Once your request is submitted, your request will be reviewed and you will be contacted via email of your approval status.
- Requests to arrive earlier than Saturday, August 19, 2017, will NOT be honored.
- Early arrival requests must be made for arrival within the dates and times set below:
- Saturday, August 19 - 8:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Sunday, August 20 - 8:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Monday, August 21 and Tuesday, August 22 - 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (closed noon-1:00 p.m.)
- Wednesday, August 23 - NO early arrivals due to first-year and transfer student move-in day.
- Thursday, August 24 and Friday, August 25 - 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (closed noon-1:00 p.m.)
- Fee Schedule
Once the individual early arrival request form opens on July 17, students who request to return prior to Saturday, August 26, 2017, will be billed according to the fee schedule below. Please note that students requesting to drop off personal items will also be considered an early arrival and charged a fee based on the schedule below. Fees associated with early arrival will be billed directly to the student's account.
- $100 for students who submit their request between Monday, July 17, 2017, and Sunday, August 6, 2017
- $200 for students who submit their request after Sunday, August 6, 2017
- $250 for students who arrive on campus prior to Saturday, August 26, 2017, without submitting a request and/or being approved for early arrival
Submitting a Request for Early Arrival
- Log on to CNAV
- Select "MyPlace"
- Select "MyHousing"
- Select "My Housing Self-Service"
- Select "Applications"
- Complete the "Early Arrival Request" application for Fall 2017 and submit
- NOTE: the 'reason for early arrival' field is limited to a maximum of 50 characters
- Once your request is submitted, your application will be reviewed and you will be contacted via email of your approvals status within 24 hours of submitting your request.
Important Check-in Reminders
- Student ID Cards
- ALL students will be required to show their student ID when checking in and picking up their room key(s).
- Upperclass students who have lost their ID card should complete the ID Card Replacement Form to request a new card. If you do so ahead of time, your new card may be ready for you when you check-in. Please note that the fee for replacing your ID card is $25.00.
- First-Year students will receive their student ID card when they check-in. ID cards are necessary to open residence hall exterior doors. For students who have have not already submitted their photo, photos must be submitted to the ID Office before arriving on campus.
- Meals Plans
- Please keep in mind that meal plans do not start until Saturday, August 26, 2017. You will be responsible for your own meals prior to that day.
- Preparing campus for your arrival: It is important to know that in the weeks before the semester officially begins, Facilities Services, IT, Residential & First-Year Programs, and many other departments are converting all campus rooms from summer conference spaces to academic year spaces. As a result, there is a great deal of work that needs to be completed to attend to the early arrival requests while simultaneously preparing the campus for the opening of the new academic year. For this reason there are fees assessed if you return early. We also ask that students be patient and considerate with departments as they assist with early arrival needs while also preparing their staffs for the beginning of the academic year.
Please contact the Office of Residential & First-Year Programs at 717-337-6901 or firstname.lastname@example.org.