Quiet & Courtesy Hours
Pet Policy
Life Safety Inspections and Violations
Fire Alarms
Fire Safety Equipment
Emergency Building Evacuation

Alcohol & Drug Policy
Conduct: Prohibited Items and Prohibited Conduct


Quiet & Courtesy Hours

Residential communities are intended to provide an environment that is conducive to studying and sleeping. In order to maintain an acceptable noise level, staff and students are expected to be respectful of others and should confront noise problems when they occur.

Quiet Hours:

Sunday through Thursday nights from 10 PM – 8 AM

Friday and Saturday nights from 12 AM – 8 AM

During quiet hours all noise (e.g. music, TV, conversation) should be contained inside a student room with the door closed. Noise in the hallways, stairwells, and lounges should be kept to a minimum. Students are encouraged to talk with those violating quiet hours before requesting the assistance of a staff member. Students violating quiet hours may be given a warning and further violations may lead to other conduct action and/or fines.

Outside of quiet hours, courtesy hours are in effect.  During courtesy hours students should be especially respectful of others in the hall. If you are trying to study or sleep, you may ask people to be quiet. If you are asked to turn down your music or quiet down, you are expected to comply.

As members of the Gettysburg College community, students are expected to adhere to the Borough noise policies by refraining from the production of loud volumes of noise.  All audible noise outside the halls must cease by 10 PM during the week and midnight on weekends. Violators may be subject to College conduct action as well as Borough fines.


College housing is provided for the exclusive use of Gettysburg College students as assigned by the Office of Residential & First-Year Programs. Visitors may be allowed to use residence facilities within the following guidelines:

  • In order for a student to host a guest in the room, the student must ask all other roommates for permission to host a guest. Students are not able to host a guest unless all other roommates agree to allow the guest into their space.
  • Visitors are permitted for only three consecutive days and totaling no more than 8 days in a one month period. No student is authorized to permit extended use of college housing facilities (including rooms) to any visitor, either student or non-student, when such use, because of its duration or frequency, constitutes a de facto sub-contracting of College facilities to an unauthorized person.
  • No student is authorized to permit use of college housing facilities (including rooms) for any visitor, either student or non-student, when such use becomes a source of complaint to the roommate(s), members of the floor/residence hall, or College staff.
  • The host student has complete responsibility for all visitors. Students accused of violating this policy may be subject to conduct action. If visitors violate College policy, the host student will be held responsible and is subject to conduct action. The visitor, either student or non-student, will be removed from College housing and may be prohibited from returning to campus.
  • Guests must register their vehicle at the Department of Public Safety.

Pet Policy

Gettysburg College does not allow pets in residence halls, even as guests of family or friends. College residences are not conducive to appropriate pet ownership. While pets can be a source of much enjoyment, they can also pose a threat to the health and safety of the campus community. Many individuals suffer from allergies related to pet dander and pet hair, and it is important to provide a healthy environment for all our students, employees, and visitors. In addition, pets pose a significant liability risk to the College. As such, pets are not approved for students living in College-controlled residential properties.

With the exception of non-carnivorous fish and certified service animals, the presence of animals in buildings is prohibited. Fish must be maintained in a bowl or tank that does not exceed 20-gallons. The College will not be responsible for the care of fish during breaks.

If a pet is discovered in a student's residential space, the student(s) will be fined $250 and given one week to remove the pet from campus. If the pet remains in the room after one week, the students will be fined an additional $250 per week until the pet is removed, and the student could face additional financial penalties. Failure to remove the pet from the residence in a timely manner may result in removal by animal control services. Violation of the pet policy may result in damage billing for the replacement and/or refurbishment of carpeting, furniture, or other affected areas of the facility.

Members of the professional staff who live in residence halls controlled by the College may request permission from the Director of Residential & First-Year Programs to have a pet(s) reside with them. If approval for a pet is granted, these pets will not be permitted in administrative or classroom buildings unless they are service animals assisting individuals with documented disabilities.

Dogs and other animals are permitted on campus roads, walks, and grounds, as they are in the local community, when they are on a leash and controlled by the owner. It is the owner's responsibility to clean up after the animal. All pets must be tagged, registered, and vaccinated in accordance with Pennsylvania state law.

Life Safety Inspections and Violations

The Department of Public Safety conducts monthly life safety inspections in apartments. They inspect all residential facilities during winter and spring breaks. Public Safety may assess fines for life safety violations found during the inspections including, but not limited to, the prohibited conduct and items listed in this Guidebook. Certain types of violations have more serious consequences and, therefore, a higher punitive penalty due to the risk of endangering health and life safety.

Fire Alarms

Any person discovering any fire, regardless of magnitude should activate the fire alarm system by pulling a manual station located near every exit and then report it to either the Department of Public Safety at 717-337-6911 or Adams County 911 Center by dialing 911.

Public Safety has direct communications with the 911 Center and can report any information within seconds. A Public Safety Officer will respond to the location and determine what action and resources are required.

No person shall deliberately or maliciously report an alarm of fire when in fact that person knows that no fire exists. It shall be a violation for any person to willingly make any false, fraudulent, misleading, or unfounded report or statement or to willingly misrepresent any fact for the purpose of interfering with any investigation or inspection.

Fire Safety Equipment

Fire extinguishers, fire alarms, pull boxes, smoke detectors, emergency lighting fixtures, and exit lights are located in each building. This equipment should only be used in emergency situations.

No person shall render any portable or fixed fire extinguishing system or device or any fire warning system inoperative or inaccessible. No person shall remove, unlock, destroy, or tamper with in any manner any locked gate, door, barricade, chain, enclosure, sign, tag, or seal that has been required to be in place for the purpose of public safety.

Any person involved with tampering of fire safety equipment is subject to conduct sanctions and/or prosecution. If you use a fire alarm or extinguisher for an actual emergency or fire, please notify the Department of Public Safety.

Extinguishers in Apartments

The College has many residential apartments where kitchens are provided with fire extinguishers. These fire extinguishers must be inspected monthly to ensure they are in good working order and mounted properly. There is no extra charge for this service, but the residents are responsible for the condition of the fire extinguisher. The charge for a discharged fire extinguisher is $100, and if the extinguisher is lost or damaged beyond repair, the charge is $200. Any fire within an apartment must be reported, especially a fire that is extinguished with a fire extinguisher. Residents will not be charged for using a fire extinguisher to extinguish an actual accidental fire. When making the monthly inspections, an officer and supervisor will knock on the apartment door.  If there is no answer, they will open the door, announce themselves, inspect the extinguisher, and leave the apartment.  These inspections will be conducted on Mondays through Fridays only and from 10 AM to 4 PM.

Emergency Building Evacuation

Emergency Building Evacuations are necessary to ensure the safety of the occupants to a variety of threats including fires, bomb threats, acts of violence, chemical releases, or other hazardous substances. The fire alarm system serves as the main notification to building occupants that there is an emergency situation that requires an evacuation.

In some cases the fire alarm may not be used if information indicates that the alarm system may cause a threat, in such cases as a bomb threat. In these cases, the word of mouth and room-to-room notification system may be conducted by the Department of Public Safety. Public Safety may assign certain college personnel to help with the room-to-room evacuation.

During an Emergency Building Evacuation every occupant must exit the building immediately after hearing the alarm or being advised by Public Safety. Occupants who exit the building should remain outside until advised by a Public Safety Officer that it is safe to return. Public Safety will coordinate fire, police, medical, and rescue assistance.

If conditions exist that prevent occupants to reenter then Public Safety will provide occupants with a relocation site nearby. If occupants are relocated to a nearby site, then those occupants will be provided with up-to-date information and needed resources to maintain their quality of life needs such as restrooms, water, food, clothing, and shelter from elements.

Any person failing to leave a building when the fire alarm sounds, when directed to leave by a Public Safety Officer, or as a result of a known or perceived emergency is subject to conduct sanctions and/or prosecution.

Emergency Evacuation Drills are conducted to familiarize occupants with emergency egress from a building and to establish conduct of the drill to a matter of routine. Drills will include suitable procedures, such as room-to-room checks, to ensure that all persons subject to the drill participate. Any person who fails to participate in a drill will be subject to conduct action by the appropriate authority. In the conduct of drills, emphasis shall be placed on orderly evacuation rather than speed. Drills shall be held at expected and unexpected times and under varying conditions to simulate the unusual conditions that can occur in an actual emergency. Participants shall relocate to a safe location outside the building and remain at such location until given further instruction.

Alcohol & Drug Policy

In compliance with Pennsylvania state laws, students under the age of 21 (or their guests) are not permitted to purchase, possess, or consume alcoholic beverages. All students, regardless of age, are prohibited from manufacturing alcohol. In addition, students who are of legal drinking age cannot possess open alcohol containers in common areas (halls, lounges, bathrooms). If students living in a room are both under 21, then alcohol cannot be present in that room. Alcohol is not permitted in any first-year residence halls, with the exception of upperclass students who are of legal drinking age. Possession of alcoholic beverage containers, either full or empty, will be taken as a presumption of use and possession, and as such may be considered policy violations. Open source alcohol such as kegs/beer balls and grain alcohol punch are prohibited from all residence hall facilities (including apartments). All drinking games and drinking game paraphernalia (beer pong tables, beer funnels, etc.) are also prohibited.

Students must register parties where alcohol will be served. Illegal drugs are prohibited. Violation of these policies will result in disciplinary action. See the Handbook of Student Rights and Responsibilities for further information on the alcohol/drug policy.

    Prohibited Items and Prohibited Conduct

    If your behavior does not meet College community expectations or is in violation of the policies outlined in the Residence Hall Housing License Agreement, this Guidebook or the Handbook of Student Rights and Responsibilities, you may expect conduct action. Gettysburg College expects you, as an adult, to maintain a standard of personal discipline that is in harmony with the educational goals of the institution, federal, state, and local laws, and to respect the rights, privileges, and property of fellow students, faculty, staff, and administrators. Students are responsible for the items contained in their rooms and the events that occur in their rooms. Special surveillance resources may be utilized by the College when conduct issues become chronic or disruptive.

    Prohibited Items
    The following items are prohibited in residence halls:  

    • Guns, firearms, knives longer than three-inches, or weapons of any type, including BB and pellet guns
    • Candles and/or incense (lit or unlit)
    • Tapestries, banners and flags. These items cannot be hung on walls, ceilings, or over windows. Window treatments such as curtains must be made of a fabric that resists or retards the spreading of flames and has either a UL fire rating #723 or NFPA 225.
    • Room-heating devices, including all space heaters, kerosene or oil lamps, and alcohol burners
    • Gasoline-powered items, such as motorcycles, mopeds, or parts thereof
    • Pressurized tanks (e.g. helium tanks)
    • Flammable and/or combustible liquids and/or chemicals including gasoline and charcoal
    • Grills of any type (except UL-listed Foreman-style grills in apartments)
    • Fireworks, smoke bombs, sparklers, etc.
    • Drug paraphernalia and illegal drugs
    • Animals or pets of any kind (except certified service animals or non-carnivorous fish; please see Pet Policy)
    • Light dimmers, ceiling fans, or any other device that replaces, adds to, or interferes with any room apparatus
    • Excessive furniture that blocks or restricts egress from sleeping areas
    • Physical training equipment
    • Three-section couches
    • Waterbeds and beds other than twin size
    • Dartboards and darts
    • Nails, hooks, double-faced adhesive tape, or other items that will damage walls
    • Live trees
    • Personal lofts

    The following electrical appliances and corded items are prohibited in residence halls:

    (Note: all cords and permitted appliances must be UL Listed)

    • Halogen lamps
    • Electrical appliances with an exposed heating source (e.g. toaster ovens, toasters, hot plates)
    • Overloaded electrical receptacles
    • Faulty or old extension cords
    • Portable washers, dryers, and dishwashers
    • Personal room refrigerators (only permitted in apartments)
    • Air conditioners (except for certified disability)
    • Microwaves other than a Microfridge (microwaves are permitted in apartments, limit one)

    NOTE: The preceding list is not all inclusive; any item that is a threat to public safety may be removed. In addition to confiscation, violators may pay a monetary fine and may be subject to Conduct action.

    Prohibited Conduct
    The following activities and actions are prohibited in residence halls and may result in conduct action:

    • Smoking inside any residential space; this includes the use of electronic cigarettes
    • Draping or placing objects, including fabric, over lighting fixtures, smoke detectors, or fire sprinkler systems
    • Hanging cardboard, plastic, or fabric (e.g. tapestries, banners, and flags) on walls, ceilings, light fixtures, or fire sprinkler apparatus. Posters on walls can't exceed 25% of the total wall surface.
    • Hanging stringed lights on the exterior of buildings without the advanced, expressed, written consent of the Office of Residential & First-Year Programs. Inside residence halls, students may use up to three strands of stringed light per room. All stringed lights must be UL-approved.
    • Wrapping or placing wires or stringed lights in the area of beds
    • Lending keys to others; copying keys; possession of keys that are not authorized for your use
    • Water fights, ball playing, bike riding, or similar activities which may cause harm to persons or property
    • Storage of bicycles in stairwells, halls, or rooms
    • Storage of personal items such as sports bags/equipment, furniture, or suitcases in stairwells or halls
    • Throwing any items into or out of windows
    • Altering, tampering, or dismantling any door closure or propping open any exterior door
    • Cooking food in individual rooms (other than in MicroFridges)
    • Solicitation of goods or services, except by Gettysburg College students who have received prior approval from the Office of College Life
    • Painting, wallpapering, or similarly decorating individual rooms or common areas unless prior approval is given by the Office of Residential & First-Year Programs and Facilities Services
    • Repairing any damages or the removal or replacement of light bulbs in ceiling fixtures that have not been provided by the Facilities staff
    • Removal, destruction, disassembling, or altering of any furniture in a room
    • Removing screens from windows
    • Installing wall partitions or paneling
    • Modifying or tampering with circuit breakers or any part of the electrical system
    • Installing and subscribing to a cable or satellite TV provider
    • Installing personal locks or chains on doors or windows
    • Sleeping in public areas of the residence halls by residents and/or guests
    • Entering the Quarry pond - this includes wading, swimming, and ice skating