Studying abroad/off-campus during the spring semester
Every spring, housing selection occurs for the following academic year. Housing selection processes for 2016-2017 will begin February 2016. Students who are abroad during the spring semester must have a proxy for all selection processes.
- Current juniors can participate in the College House selection or the off-campus housing application process during the months of February and March.
- All students can participate in the College House selection during the months of February and March and online housing selection process in March and April.
If you are studying abroad you will be able to select your OWN housing online (if you are not applying to live in a College House or off-campus housing). With the online housing system, students will need to select each other as roommates prior to selecting a room or apartment. (Instructions regarding this part of the process will be distributed with lottery times March 2016 and April 2016.) When doing so, the online housing system will confirm that all roommates have selected one another--and students now become a group. Only the student with the lowest (best) lottery number and earliest lottery time will need to select housing for the group via the online housing selection system.
If you are studying abroad during this process and your lottery number will carry a group to select housing, you can select for your group via CNAV/MyHousing/My Housing Self Service, or you may select a proxy here on campus to select housing for your group. Lottery numbers are not transferable, and in the event where you need to choose a proxy because you cannot select housing for your group at the appointed time, you must email Sharon Fissel.
As mentioned previously, the Office of Residential & First-Year Programs will be publishing additional information about the online housing selection process in March 2016. When you receive this information via your campus email, you will also be able to log unto CNAV/MyHousing/My Housing Self Service to view your lottery time. You will be able to log on and look at the available housing and feel connected to the process even if you are halfway around the world. Of course, your lottery time will be on Gettysburg time and you will have to adjust to your location.
Should you have any questions, please contact Sharon Fissel, Assistant Director of Residential & First-Year Programs for Housing.
Studying abroad/off-campus during the fall semester
All students applying to study abroad/off-campus for the Fall 2016 Semester should plan to attend the Study Abroad Send-Off Orientation on Tuesday, March 29th, at 4:00 p.m. in the CUB Ballroom. Staff members from the Office of Residential & First-Year Programs will explain the housing selection process.
Students studying abroad/off-campus during the fall will receive a lottery number along with the rest of the student population in February. This number will be used to assign housing for the Spring 2017 Semester.
Spring 2017 Housing
- Living off-campus
If you plan to study abroad/off-campus during the fall Semester and wish to reside in an off-campus apartment upon returning in the spring, you MUST participate in the Off-Campus Housing Selection Process happening Spring Semester.
- Greek Housing
If you are a member of a Greek fraternity you will need to check the residency requirements of your fraternity before seeking any other housing option.
- Medically Necessary Housing Accommodations
The Office of Residential & First-Year Housing will work to accommodate students returning from abroad/off-campus for the spring semester who are approved for medically necessary housing accommodations. However, depending on the housing available, all student preferences may not be able to be met when finding appropriate accommodates.
- College Houses
If you are interested in living in a specific college house upon your return in the spring, please make sure you are contact the appropriate College House, house leader to add you to the house roster for spring semester.
- Online selection process held in March and April for on-campus housing
The only way a student who will be studying off-campus during the fall semester can participate in the housing selection process for the Fall 2016 semester is if the student is joining a group through a Room Switch Agreement.
If the student who is studying abroad/off campus has the lowest (best) lottery number of the group, the group can use the number to select housing. This will need to be noted on the Room Switch Agreement.
- Housing Intent Form
Students not securing housing by any of the above mentioned options will be assigned housing for the Spring 2017 semester using a Housing Intent Form. Your Housing Intent form is due by April 15th.
Your Housing Intent Form will serve as your housing preference form for the Spring 2017 semester. Because we realize plans become more concrete over the course of the semester, you may make any necessary changes to your preferences at any time prior to December 8th by emailing Sharon Fissel, Assistant Director of Residential & First-Year Programs for Housing, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Housing Intent Forms are then placed in class year/lottery number order for housing placement for the spring semester.
- Spring 2017 placements
To provide the greatest possible chance of matching your preferences with available housing, we wait to assess TOTAL vacancies including withdrawals, transfers, and academic dismissals (which are not decided until the week of January 9, 2017). Therefore, the Office of Residential & First-Year Programs will not complete housing assignments until the week of January 16, 2017. Once assignments are completed, students will be emailed at which time they can view their spring housing assignment via MyHousing in CNAV. Please note the following:
- Due to space limitations, requests for groups of three or more are not usually granted. It is more likely that we will place students in pairs.
- All students will be billed "Plan 2 - Apartment Rate" for the spring semester prior to January. If your placement is anything other than an apartment, you will receive an adjusted statement in January.
- Students will not be permitted to arrive on campus for the Spring 2017 semester prior to noon on Saturday, January 21st. However, if you are part of an organization that requires your arrival before this time, you will be on a roster for early arrival. Please check with your respective organization, coach or Faculty/Administrative Leader to make sure you are on this roster.
- Keys can be picked up in the Office of Residential & First-Year Programs (CUB 250) on both Saturday, January 21st and Sunday, January 22nd (exact times are to be determined). Keys may also be picked up during regular business hours beginning at 8:30 a.m. on Monday, January 23rd.
- Meal plans begin on Saturday, January 21st.
- Classes begin on Monday, January 23rd.
- Please see the College Calendar for other important dates for the Spring Semester.
Hours for the Office of Residential & First-Year Programs during winter break:
December 19-22 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. * December 23 TBD December 24-January 1 CLOSED January 2 TBD January 3-6 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. * January 7-8 CLOSED January 9-13 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. * January 14-15 CLOSED January 16-20 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. * January 21-22 TBD *The office closes for lunch between noon and 1:00 p.m.
Important dates for students studying off-campus fall 2016
Tuesday, March 29th
Study Abroad Send-Off Orientation (4:00 p.m., CUB Ballroom)
Friday, April 15th
Housing Intent Forms due to Office of Residential & First-Year Programs. (students can update forms through December 9th)
January 2nd -13th
Spring housing placements completed by the Office of Residential & First-Year Programs
Week of January 16th
Students notified of housing placements via CNAV/MyHousing/Self Service