All students who are applying for summer housing are encouraged to attend the Summer Employment/Housing Information Session listed below. Staff from various departments on campus will conduct this information session and be available to answer any questions.
Monday, April 3rd at 4:00 p.m. in Science Center 200
Housing Application and Room Selection Procedures
- Summer housing applications will be available on April 3rd. The application is an online form (instead of a paper form).
- Applications must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, April 21, 2017.
- Summer housing room sign-ups will be held Tuesday, April 25th beginning at 4:00 p.m. in CUB 230. Note that this is NOT an online process.
- Lottery numbers will be randomly generated on Monday, April 24, 2017, for all applicants who submit their summer housing application by the April 21st deadline. Applications submitted after the deadline will be placed at the end in date received order, as space permits.
- Room selection will be broken down into 1/2 increments (between 4:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m.) by class year then lottery number order. Applicants will receive an email on Monday, April 24th notifying them of the time slot in which they will select housing. Only students whose eligibility is verified will then select housing during this time.
- Those who physically cannot attend room sign-ups on April 25th will need to designate a proxy to choose a room on their behalf. They do so by completing a summer housing proxy form, which their proxy must bring with him/her when selecting summer housing on April 25th.
Summer Housing Eligibility and Verification
The Office of Residential & First-Year Programs will only provide housing for one or more of the following reasons listed below. Anyone seeking housing for any other reason than listed below will not be accommodated in campus housing this summer.
- Gettysburg College student employees
- Students completing a College approved internship
- Gettysburg College research assistants
- Students taking summer classes
- International students
Verification Process - Verification must be provided by 9:00 p.m. on Sunday, April 23rd. Students will NOT be able to select a room for the summer NOR be issued a key for summer housing until their summer housing eligibility can be verified.
- Students who are college employees, interns or research assistants must have their supervisor verify their eligibility via the link in the email sent to the supervisor once the online housing application is submitted.
- If students are seeking an internship off-campus, the internship must be college approved and the appropriate paperwork must be completed through the Center for Career Development (CCD). Please note that graduating seniors are not eligible for college-approved internships. See the CCD website for more information on internships.
- Students taking summer classes will be verified through the Registrar's Office.
Summer Housing Fee
- The 2017 Summer Housing rate is $520 per student.
- Housing rates apply regardless of the amount of time needed for summer housing and will not be pro-rated based on check-in or check-out dates.
- Residential & First-Year Programs will bill summer housing applicants for summer housing by Thursday, April 27th.
Summer Housing Locations
Summer housing for 2017 will be located in Musselman Hall and Constitution Apartments. The rooms in Musselman Hall will be mostly single occupancy, dependent on the total number of summer housing applicants. Students may also request to live together in a double room in Musselman Hall. Constitution Apartments will consist of singles and doubles (rooms must be filled to capacity). The X-SIG summer research students will be housed in Lamp Post and Stevens Hall. The CPS Fellows will be housed in Lau House. The Kolbe Fellows and Library Digital Scholarship Fellows will be housed at 25 S. Washington Street (aka Humor House).
All college furniture must remain in summer residence hall rooms regardless of summer capacity. These housing options for the summer are subject to change and the Office of Residential & First-Year Programs reserves the right to determine the number of doubles and singles to accommodate all summer housing requests.
Summer Housing Check-in Dates and Temporary Storage
Summer housing check-in dates will be determined once summer housing locations are finalized. Please check back here for more information about the transition timeline.
Limited Temporary Storage
- Limited temporary storage will be available for students who can't transition to summer housing during the timeline that is set.
- Specific details about requesting temporary storage will be available at a later date.
- All items MUST be removed from temporary storage by noon on Thursday, June 1st.
Summer housing will end at 10:00 p.m. on Sunday, August 6th
Summer housing end dates are determined by fall housing placement, summer conference schedule and Facilities/Housekeeping needs to have rooms appropriately prepared for fall occupancy.
- Summer residents will pick up their fall housing room keys no earlier than 4:00 p.m. on Friday, August 4th. Key pick-up will occur in CUB 250 4:00 - 6:00 p.m. on August 4th.
- Summer residents must be moved out of their summer housing by 10:00 p.m. on Sunday, August 6th. Summer housing keys must be returned by 10:00 p.m. on Sunday, August 6th.
- PLEASE NOTE: Students not returning for the Fall 2017 semester (e.g. May 2017 graduates, those studying off-campus, those living off-campus, etc.) must vacate their Gettysburg College residence hall room and return their summer housing room keys by 10:00 p.m. on Sunday, August 6th.
- All summer housing residents MUST plan their work schedules and any travel arrangements around these checkout dates.
Please note: It is important that summer residents share information regarding summer housing check-in AND check-out dates and times with their supervisors and/or departments. It is crucial that students transition between spring-to-summer and summer-to-fall housing within the times determined by the Office of Residential & First-Year Programs. Our buildings are scheduled for summer conferences, summer renovations, and preparation for students' arrival in August. Summer residents will need to plan to move during these times or use temporary storage.