All students who are applying for summer housing are encouraged to attend one of the Summer Employment/Housing Information Sessions. Staff from various departments on campus will conduct this information session and be available to answer any questions.
Tuesday, April 7th at 4:00 p.m. in CUB 260
Summer Housing Eligibility and Verification
The Office of Residential & First-Year Programs will only provide housing for one or more of the following reasons listed below. Anyone seeking housing for any other reason than listed below will not be accommodated in campus housing this summer.
- Gettysburg College student employees
- Students completing a College approved internship
- Gettysburg College research assistants
- Students taking summer classes
- International students
Verification Process - Verification must be provided at the time of application. Students will NOT be able to select a room for the summer NOR be issued a key for summer housing until their summer housing eligibility can be verified.
- Students who are college employees, interns or research assistants must have their supervisor complete the verification section of the summer housing application.
- If students are seeking an internship off-campus, the internship must be college approved and the appropriate paperwork must be completed through the Center for Career Development (CCD). Please note that graduating seniors are not eligible for college-approved internships. See the CCD website for more information on internships.
- Students taking summer classes will be verified through the Registrar's Office.
Summer Housing Locations (locations are subject to change)
- Summer Housing for 2015 will be located in Musselman Hall. Constitution Apartments, Lau House, and 25 S. Washington will be used to house the HHMI students. CPS Fellows will be housed in Smith House and the Mellon Grant students will be housed in Albaugh House.
- The rooms in Musselman Hall will primarily be at single occupancy, dependent on the total number of summer housing applicants. Students may also request to live together in a double room in Musselman Hall.
- All college furniture must remain in all summer residence hall rooms regardless of summer capacity.
- These housing options for the summer are subject to change and Residential & First-Year Programs reserves the right to determine the number of doubles and singles to accommodate all summer housing requests.
Summer Housing Rate and Billing Process
- The 2015 Summer Housing rate is $460 per student.
- Residential & First-Year Programs will bill all summer housing applicants for summer housing. Graduating seniors will be billed on Tuesday, April 21st. The remaining applicants will be billed on Monday, April 27th.
- Housing rates apply regardless of the amount of time needed for summer housing and will not be pro-rated based on check-in or check-out dates.
Summer housing fee for students who are REQUIRED to live on-campus (senior research assistants and RC/RAs):
- Students who are required (e.g. Senior Research Assistants and the RC/RAs) to live in college housing will be issued a credit for their summer housing fee once their supervisor completes the Summer Student Data Form and submits the form to Student Employment Services (Box 425). It is the responsibility of the student's supervisor to notify Student Employment Services of any Senior Research Assistants who are REQUIRED to live on campus and should be issued a credit for their summer housing fee.
- Please note that not all research assistants who apply for summer housing are required to live on-campus. The Provost Office staff will make the final determination as to which research assistants are required to live on-campus.
Can my department pay for my summer housing?
- Departments are not permitted to pay for summer housing for those students who are NOT required to live on campus.
- With the exception of those students who are required to live on campus this summer, students will be billed for summer housing on their student account and are responsible for paying their housing bill.
Housing Application and Room Selection Procedures
- Summer housing applications can be downloaded from our website and are also available in the Office of Residential & First-Year Programs.
- Applications must be returned to the Office of Residential & First-Year Programs by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, April 17, 2015.
- Applicants will randomly select a summer housing lottery number when they return their summer housing application by the April 17th deadline.
- Housing for those whose eligibility is verified will then be selected in class year/lottery number order. Applications submitted after the deadline will be placed at the end in date received order.
- Summer housing room sign-ups will be held Thursday, April 23rd beginning at 4:00 p.m. in CUB 230.
- Those who cannot attend room sign-ups at that time will need to designate a proxy to choose a room on their behalf. They do so by completing a summer housing proxy form, which their proxy must bring with him/her when selecting summer housing on April 23rd.
Check-in Dates, Check-out Dates, and Temporary Storage
- Musselman and Constitution A: check-in will occur in CUB 250, 4:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. on Monday, May 11th.
- Constitution B & C, 25 S. Washington, Lau House, and Smith House: check-in will occur in CUB 250, 4:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. on Monday, May 18th.
- We ask that students work with us to be patient and flexible as we work through the details of spring to summer housing transition. Please know that each student will be given specific details regarding his/her transition to summer housing.
- Most students will be able to remain in their spring semester housing until they move to summer housing. However, some students will not be able to remain in their spring housing and may have to relocate between May 10th and May 18th. Specific transition times cannot be finalized until after room sign-ups occur on Thursday, April 23rd at which point we will know specifics about where people are moving from and where they are moving to and can then work through the transition details. Transition details will be available by Friday, May 1st.
Limited Temporary Storage
- Limited temporary storage will be available in Patrick Hall for those students who leave campus prior to Sunday, May 10th and/or check into summer housing after May 11th.
- Storage requests must be made by emailing Allison Schofield.
- All items MUST be removed from temporary storage by noon on Monday, June 1st.
Summer housing will end at 10:00 p.m. on Sunday, August 9th
Summer housing end dates are determined by fall housing placement, summer conference schedule and Facilities/Housekeeping needs to have rooms appropriately prepared for fall occupancy.
- Summer residents will pick up their fall housing room keys from 4:00 - 6:00 p.m. on Friday, August 7th in CUB 250.
- Summer residents must be moved out of their summer housing by 10:00 p.m. on Sunday, August 9th. Summer housing keys must be returned by 10:00 a.m. on Monday, August 10th.
- PLEASE NOTE: Students not returning for the Fall 2015 semester (e.g. May 2015 graduates, those studying off-campus, those living off-campus, etc.) must vacate their Gettysburg College residence hall room and return their summer housing room keys by 10:00 p.m. on Sunday, August 9th.
- All summer housing residents MUST plan their work schedules and any travel arrangements around these checkout dates.
Please note: It is important that summer residents share information regarding summer housing check-in AND check-out dates and times with their supervisors and/or departments. It is crucial that students transition between spring-to-summer and summer-to-fall housing within the times determined by the Office of Residential & First-Year Programs. Our buildings are scheduled for summer conferences, summer renovations, and preparation for students' arrival in August. Summer residents will need to plan to move during these times or use temporary storage.