The Women’s Center's mission is to enhance the academic achievement, career aspiration, and personal development of all who identify as women at Gettysburg College. We are committed to creating a safe, equitable, and inclusive learning environment in which all people can be successful regardless of age, race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or disability.
Gettysburg College Women's Center is dedicated to the development of a campus environment that promotes equity by not only focusing on the quantity of women on campus, rather the quality of their experiences. We envision a campus atmosphere that advocates for gender equality and mutual respect among all members of our campus community.
The Gettysburg College Women's Center envisions a world where....
- All people live in safety and their basic human needs are met.
- No one uses sex to harm another person.
- All who identify as women are evaluated on the basis of character and the fruits of their labor rather than appearance.
- All victims of abuse can overcome feelings of shame and guilt, and in healing become empowered to break the silence and raise awareness.
- Oppressive norms and expectations surrounding gender roles are challenged and defeated.
- Women earn equal wages.
- All human partnerships are based on mutual respect, love, and dignity.
- Governments continue to set policies to specifically protect individuals from discrimination based on age, race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or disability.
- A woman's sexuality and choices are her own.
- All people feel safe in all public spaces at all times.
- Where men and women see themselves as feminist.
- We see this work as everyone's work.
Women's and LGBTQA Resource Center
Gettysburg College Women’s Center and Office of LGBTQA Advocacy & Education envision a campus community where women and LGBTQA students and the people who support them can thrive, be safe and feel proud to call Gettysburg College their home.
Safe Space Statement
The Women's and LGBTQA Resource Center is a Safe Space. A Safe Space is defined as both a physical place that is welcoming, comforting, and easily accessible, and a mindset that is accepting of all individuals, their identities, their opinions, and personal stories. We ask all users of the Center to display respect towards the missions, vision, and values of each office, and to the individuals that use the space.
Why Not a Men's Center?
Brett M. Rogers, Ph.D., responds to a student question about Why There Is No Men's Center.