Gettysburg College Jazz Ensemble performing at the 2011 Jazz a Vienne Festival - Vienne, France
Jazz is an integral part of musical life at the Sunderman Conservatory. Each year, 18 to 22 students are selected via audition for the Jazz Ensemble. The ensemble studies myriad styles of jazz, encompassing swing, Latin, fusion, bop, and the Great American Songbook ... and experiences a vast range of performance and engagement opportunities.
April 2012 David Dalton '15
April 2012 “Strings that Swing” performing Buzz Jones’s Silver Rain
April 2013 Sarah Tuttle ’13, Thomas Neufeld ’13 and Stephen Lin ’16
April 2013 Little Liza Jane
Chris Brubeck Interview-- Artist-in-residence - February 2013
Tours and Travel
- The Jazz Ensemble toured Europe during the past two decades in 1993, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2011, 2015 with performances at the Montreux, Vienné, Jazz a Juan, and North Sea Jazz Festivals as well as presenting concerts in Amsterdam, Paris, Bruges, Heidelberg, Athens, Istanbul, and Venice.
- The Ensemble has opened for Ray Brown and Phil Woods and performed with such world-renowned soloists as Paquito D'Rivera, Boston Brass, Denis DiBlasio, Lew Soloff, Graham Breedlove, and Hector Martignon. The GCJE and Jazz Dispatch traveled to CT, NY, and PA on its 2010 Northern Lights Tour and was selected to perform at the 2011 MENC Eastern Division Convention in Baltimore.
- In 2009, jazz students joined a volunteer effort to help rebuild homes in St. Bernard Parish, LA, spending hands-on time making a difference while taking in the vibrant culture of New Orleans.
- Jazz ensemble members have served as worship leaders in a local church committed to innovative music programming.
Straighten Up and Fly Right featuring Matt Carlson and
Natasha Maskaly – October 2011
The Jazz Ensemble rehearses on Wednesday evenings from 7:30 -- 9:30 pm; members also attend a weekly sectional.
- View the Performance Calendar
- More Jazz Opportunities for Students
- Learn about Jazz Ensemble Auditions
Students with an interest in jazz can live in The Blue Note House, and/or can join The Jazz Appreciation Society - an on-campus group that sponsors an annual swing dance and other jazz related activities.
The Jazz Curriculum also includes a jazz combo (Dispatch), improvisation lab, private improvisation lessons, and two jazz history courses. See Jazz Course Listing.
Students may elect to earn the BA in Music with jazz emphasis
Listen to Gettysburg College Jazz!
Freedom Jazz Dance (mp3 link)
500 Miles High (mp3 link)