Department history

 

Departmental Staff1892 Trustees of the College establish the Amanda Rupert Strong Chair of English Bible. For the next four decades the occupant of that chair is also the College chaplain.

1931 A separate Department of English Bible is established, a required course in biblical history for all students is continued, and the department was separated from the chaplaincy.

Early 1950s The department is renamed the Department of Biblical Literature and Religion.

1969 The department is renamed the Department of Religion. Courses in the history and literature of the Old and New Testaments are no longer required for all students. Instead, the distribution requirement in religion can be met by taking introductory courses in biblical studies, history of religions, or religious thought.

Mid-1990s The distribution requirement in religion is eliminated. Instead, students may choose from a variety of courses in the major religious traditions of the Americas, Africa, the Middle East, and the Far East.

Fall 2010  The department has been renamed the Department of Religious Studies.

The Waltemeyer Seminar Room (Weidensall Hall Room 308) contains reference books and is used as a classroom and meeting space.